Orioles win; Yankees lose

wildcard

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Wow  Yeah, there seems to be something wrong with the official scoring there.  I agree that in MLB a pitcher can't be charged with a run unless he faces at least one batter.  This would be possible in leagues playing with the international tie-breaker.  In college softball a few years ago, the losing pitcher pitched a perfect game.  Score tied 0-0 after 7, and her team failed to score in the top of the eighth, having started the inning with a runner on second.  In the bottom of the eighth, the runner on second took off to steal third.  The catcher's throw sailed down the left field line and the winning run scampered home.  The pitcher allowed no batter to reach base the entire game, yet lost.

I was trying to come up with some kind of weird circumstances that could have happened in 1916 that allows this, but I can't think of anything.  Most likely it's a mistake.  Hopefully one day they can get to the play-by-play from newspaper accounts or official scoresheets and can correct it.

There's a game I play with my friends called broke, woke and bespoke. It goes like this. 

Broke: O's are .5 back of a WC spot
Woke: O's are 1.5 games back of the first WC spot
Bespoke: O's are only 10.5 games away from hosting teams at Camden Yards as division champions. 

I'm not saying we'll be division winners. All I'm saying is that the Yankees are hitting a bad rough patch and we're hot right now. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

There's a game I play with my friends called broke, woke and bespoke. It goes like this. 

Broke: O's are .5 back of a WC spot
Woke: O's are 1.5 games back of the first WC spot
Bespoke: O's are only 10.5 games away from hosting teams at Camden Yards as division champions. 

I'm not saying we'll be division winners. All I'm saying is that the Yankees are hitting a bad rough patch and we're hot right now. 

This is actually hurting Baltimore though.  Would have much preferred Yankees to take 2 from Tampa. 

15 minutes ago, foxfield said:

This is actually hurting Baltimore though.  Would have much preferred Yankees to take 2 from Tampa. 

After the ASB, they took 2 of 3 from us but have lost 8 of 11 against Seattle, Boston, and Tampa.  So they are killing us....which I guess is what they always do when we are good.  Hopefully they don't continue to lay down for the Jays when they get them next.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, scottbbfm said:

Yankees need to play at a ~.480 winning % to win the division.  They have a tough schedule coming up. It’s in no way a forgone conclusion.  If Judge doesn’t stay healthy…I’d say it’s over for them.

It's unlikely, but possible, that the Yankees lose today and then get swept by the Jays. Back-to-back 4 game sweeps to the Rays and Jays would be a catastrophic outcome, and their division lead will shrink considerably if that were to happen. Then they'd face the Mets for 2 games with deGrom and Scherzer scheduled. 

I actually think Boone would get fired if the Yanks drop all those games (today's game, Jays sweep, and Mets sweep) - it would be a 10-game losing streak, and 2-18 over their last 20 were that to happen. The Yankees losing their next 7 games in a row is super unlikely, but I do think that Boone will get fired if the Yankees continue collapsing. I'm expecting him to be on the hot seat in early September.

• Upvote 1

I know the Yankees aren’t helping us against wild card opponents. 

But in a year where we were expecting this team to lose 100 games this year, I will settle for missing the wild card IF the trade off is the Yankees blowing a lead to lose the division and Boone losing his job. 

Mind you, I’d prefer us to win a wild card spot but if that’s the runner up prize, I’ll be happy drinking Yankee fan tears.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...