Should O's Add New Blood to Stagnant Offense?

Rene88

I agree.

I don't understand why Snider is in the "doghouse" and why people don't think he's useful when he plays.

I have no knowledge. He is a LunchBox hero to me. And now that Delmon is no longer just the guy who hit the double, we could just announce plans for the statue and let him PH from here on out.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like others realize the same. Sometimes minor changes can help.

http://eutawstreetreport.com/chris-davis-chris-parmalee-nolan-reimold-struggling-offense/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The front office had the entire offseason to improve the lineup.

Pearce's batted ball data suggests a turnaround is coming. I'm less confident in Davis and wouldn't be against shopping him and giving Parmalee a chance. Reimold has had a good couple of games recently but still hasn't done much at Norfolk.

Agreed

I agree.

I don't understand why Snider is in the "doghouse" and why people don't think he's useful when he plays.

b/c he doesn't have a lot of upside and isn't that good of a player. He is a below average fielder and doesn't drive the ball. He might not be a bad option compared to the other platoon of guys playing the corner outfield spots, but that isn't saying much.

I agree.

If we could get healthy our best bet is Pearce and Snider as the corner outfielders, but we can't keep Hardy and Flaherty healthy and Wieters and Schoop are still out.

Not sure why Snider is not getting PT, but Delmon is certainly getting exposed as an everyday player. I wasn't expecting Nelson Cruz power, but zero homers through 2 months is ridiculous for Young.

And yes, I'd take Nolan over Young, DeAza, and Lough.

Agreed

b/c he doesn't have a lot of upside and isn't that good of a player. He is a below average fielder and doesn't drive the ball. He might not be a bad option compared to the other platoon of guys playing the corner outfield spots, but that isn't saying much.

But what is does say is that he should be playing ahead of those other guys.

No one is saying that Jones should sit so Snider can play center.

He doesn't qualify as the big bat that we needed to get in the off season. That's all.

He doesn't qualify as the big bat that we needed to get in the off season. That's all.

While we are talking big bats in the offseason and corner outfielders I would just like to remind folks that I suggested bidding on Jung Ho Kang and putting him in RF.

Just sayin'

Jimmy is a DH. Nelson is a DH, Delmon is a DH/PH, Clevenger is a DH, Reimold is a DH. And we all see how well Oakland is doing with that.

lol 100% agree

If we could get healthy our best bet is Pearce and Snider as the corner outfielders, but we can't keep Hardy and Flaherty healthy and Wieters and Schoop are still out.

Not sure why Snider is not getting PT, but Delmon is certainly getting exposed as an everyday player. I wasn't expecting Nelson Cruz power, but zero homers through 2 months is ridiculous for Young.

And yes, I'd take Nolan over Young, DeAza, and Lough.

I'm with you, I'm surprised that Young doesn't have a home run yet. That said, I don't think that he is the problem. I agree that he is being exposed as an everyday player but it isn't his fault that he is being forced to play every day and in the field. I know that I keep reiterating this but this was a problem that should have been addressed in the offseason.

Completely disagree about Reimold. I know that he teased everyone with his hot start in 2012 but the fact that we are still talking about him illustrates a bigger problem.

Yet somehow his 104 wRC+ is a "big step down" from Nick Markakis.

Snider gets on base, something this lineup surely needs. He's also shown power previously. Let him play.

lol 100% agree

I'm with you, I'm surprised that Young doesn't have a home run yet. That said, I don't think that he is the problem. I agree that he is being exposed as an everyday player but it isn't his fault that he is being forced to play every day and in the field. I know that I keep reiterating this but this was a problem that should have been addressed in the offseason.

Completely disagree about Reimold. I know that he teased everyone with his hot start in 2012 but the fact that we are still talking about him illustrates a bigger problem.

What if I told you Snider has been better than Young?

I mean I guess so and I would certainly rather watch him bat than De Aza. I just wish that the Orioles weren't in this situation

Snider gets on base, something this lineup surely needs. He's also shown power previously. Let him play.

What if I told you Snider has been better than Young?

More saber-metrics/stat based arguments?

Several people hate him just because he was a "Duquette in Blue" scrap heap deal that he made as aside to appease the masses. So they will never be satisfied unless he produces at a Cruz level at a minimum. Nothing more than that. As to why Buck hates him? I have no idea. Ask Roy!

How else are you going to make an argument other then using stats?

I think Young looks better.

Well I think Snider looks better.

Well you are wrong.

No you are wrong.

My eyes tell me Young is better.

Well my eyes say Snider is better.

I used to play the game.

Me too.

Higher OBP, higher SLG. wRC+, OPS, OPS+, you name it. He's slightly worse by batting average, that's it. You really have to be in love with batting average not to see Snider has been the better offensive player.

He's also been better on defense by every meaningful defensive metric.

Archived