Should O's Add New Blood to Stagnant Offense?

Rene88

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reliance on matchups, excessive loyalty to certain players, overly concerned about the save rule, seemingly obsessed with stopping opposing teams running game.

Doesn't mean I want to get rid of him.

I hope Buck sticks with the loyalty thing, just as a counter-point to the fans who think going 1-for-12 is a demotin' offense, and if you hit .320 for a month at Norfolk you have to be better than whatever the O's are sticking in the lineup.

b/c he (Snider) doesn't have a lot of upside and isn't that good of a player. He is a below average fielder and doesn't drive the ball. He might not be a bad option compared to the other platoon of guys playing the corner outfield spots, but that isn't saying much.
Great post Herman, agree with all points.

Snider's ISO (i.e. power) for his career is .157. Last year the following players had an ISO between .147 and .167: Jayson Werth, Curtis Granderson, Melky Cabrera, Ryan Howard, Jay Bruce, Dustin Ackley, Evan Longoria, Jacoby Ellsbury, Alex Gordon, Hanley Ramirez, Jonathan LuCroy. And for his career he's almost exactly an average defender in RF, at least according to UZR.

Snider's ISO (i.e. power) for his career is .157. Last year the following players had an ISO between .147 and .167: Jayson Werth, Curtis Granderson, Melky Cabrera, Ryan Howard, Jay Bruce, Dustin Ackley, Evan Longoria, Jacoby Ellsbury, Alex Gordon, Hanley Ramirez, Jonathan LuCroy. And for his career he's almost exactly an average defender in RF, at least according to UZR.

Do you have any guesses why he isn't getting more playing time? Clearly Buck must be a moron and just doesn't recognize his greatness then?

I have read the stats. I get it. He isn't terrible, he isn't great. My point is this guy is exactly that. He is nothing but filler and there was no reason to get excited over the acquisition. Nothing personal but people saying he needs to play more is just silly IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you can judge too much on 101 PA. He's been about as expected, though I was hoping for a little more and we might still get that.

Do you have any guesses why he isn't getting more playing time? Clearly Buck must be a moron and just doesn't recognize his greatness then?

I have read the stats. I get it. He isn't terrible, he isn't great. My point is this guy is exactly that. He is nothing but filler and there was no reason to get excited over the acquisition. Nothing personal but people saying he needs to play more is just silly IMO.

So you believe Young is a better COF option vs RHP?

I hope Buck sticks with the loyalty thing, just as a counter-point to the fans who think going 1-for-12 is a demotin' offense, and if you hit .320 for a month at Norfolk you have to be better than whatever the O's are sticking in the lineup.

It depends on who we are talking about. His loyalty to Delmon Young this year should certainly be questioned.

I don't know, As much as I like his approach. I have to agree his power capability looks pretty bad right now and it sure feels as though the team (and maybe him are not all that comfortable with him in RF). Hopefully those are both temporary issues.

So you believe Young is a better COF option vs RHP?

I think our offseason plan regarding the OF and offense was not a good one. If we had signed Cruz to DH, maybe Jimmy P would be playing some LF or RF, Young and De AZa wouldn't be here. Lough might actually be getting a longer look with Alvarez waiting in the wings. Snider wouldn't even be here. That would have been my plan despite the fact I think Lough is a terrible hitter.

Why are the only two options that Buck is a moron or Buck is a flawless genius? Whenever Buck makes a decision we don't understand is the only acceptable response "he's smarter than me, I must be wrong!"? I will admit I have no idea why anyone would play Delmon Young vs. RHP instead of Snider. Young is the definition of "nothing but filler and there was no reason to get excited over the acquisition." Snider is at least as good a hitter vs righties, is a better fielder, and a better baserunner.

I don't know, As much as I like his approach. I have to agree his power capability looks pretty bad right now and it sure feels as though the team (and maybe him are not all that comfortable with him in RF). Hopefully those are both temporary issues.

It looks a heck of a lot better than Delmon's!

I think our offseason plan regarding the OF and offense was not a good one. If we had signed Cruz to DH, maybe Jimmy P would be playing some LF or RF, Young and De AZa wouldn't be here. Lough might actually be getting a longer look with Alvarez waiting in the wings. Snider wouldn't even be here. That would have been my plan despite the fact I think Lough is a terrible hitter.

Great. That's not what I asked. You said it's silly to think Snider should play more, which means you believe Young is a better option. Correct?

Archived