Should O's Add New Blood to Stagnant Offense?

Rene88

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He said Flaherty would replace one outfielder, then Parmalee would replace another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see Flaherty replacing an outfielder.

We shall see what happens.

Cabrera is probably one that is on thin water.

Flash could replace Cabrera and Parmalee or Reimold could replace De Aza or Lough. But, not both. Neither is your backup CF.

Plate appearances through 5/25

Pearce - 110

De Aza - 111

Young - 108

Snider - 101

Lough - 34

Doesn't look like Snider is really in the doghouse. It just seems that way because he has been the most consistent producer, so his presence is missed when he's not playing.

How else are you going to make an argument other then using stats?

I think Young looks better.

Well I think Snider looks better.

Well you are wrong.

No you are wrong.

My eyes tell me Young is better.

Well my eyes say Snider is better.

I used to play the game.

Me too.

That's really not that different than the statweenie way:

I think Delmon looks better than Snider.

But Delmon's OPS is 70 points lower.

OPS is stupid.

Oh, right, Delmon's wOBA is 33 points lower.

Umm... what?

Snider's defensive metrics are also better.

Snider looks kind of chubby and red-faced. Also something of a tool.

Uh, yea...

(Crickets)

We're done here?

Yep.

That's really not that different that different than the other statweenie way:

I think Delmon looks better than Snider.

But Delmon's OPS is 70 points lower.

OPS is stupid.

Oh, right, Delmon's wOBA is 33 points lower.

Umm... what?

Snider's defensive metrics are also better.

Snider looks kind of chubby and red-faced. Also something of a tool.

Uh, yea...

(Crickets)

We're done here?

Yep.

I like when Delmon pinch hits. Or hits doubles when we are going to lose because of Chen in the playoffs.

Higher OBP, higher SLG. wRC+, OPS, OPS+, you name it. He's slightly worse by batting average, that's it. You really have to be in love with batting average not to see Snider has been the better offensive player.

He's also been better on defense by every meaningful defensive metric.

Imagine if the Orioles brought in a legit replacement for Markakis/Cruz instead of going the value route with Snider. We wouldn't be having this meaningless debate, Young would be playing in his spot start/PH role and the team would be better off.

BTW saying that Snider is a better defender than Young is like saying that Dan Uggla is a better defender than Mark Reynolds lol

Imagine if the Orioles brought in a legit replacement for Markakis/Cruz instead of going the value route with Snider. We wouldn't be having this meaningless debate, Young would be playing in his spot start/PH role and the team would be better off.

BTW saying that Snider is a better defender than Young is like saying that Dan Uggla is a better defender than Mark Reynolds lol

Are we to take you changing the subject as admitting that Snider has performed better?

I think we should trade Adam Jones before the league realizes he's toast. 577 OPS in May.

It doesn't work this way. You need to wait 3 years until he starts to falter for a prolonged period and THEN say "we should have traded him 3 years ago when he had some value." ;)

Are we to take you changing the subject as admitting that Snider has performed better?

Nope. We all agree that Buck is a good manager right? Therefore is stands to reason that Buck is playing Young over Snider for a reason. If Buck thinks that Snider is a better player than Snider will play over Young.

That being said I think that my other point is valid - Wee wouldn't be having this debate if the Orioles had brought in a legit replacement for Markakis/Cruz instead of going the value route with Snider.

Nope. We all agree that Buck is a good manager right? Therefore is stands to reason that Buck is playing Young over Snider for a reason. If Buck thinks that Snider is a better player than Snider will play over Young.

That being said I think that my other point is valid - Wee wouldn't be having this debate if the Orioles had brought in a legit replacement for Markakis/Cruz instead of going the value route with Snider.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if Jones, Davis, and Pearce were hitting as expected. End of story.

Archived