As much as most of us root for Crush... He's not helping on offense...

Bazooka Jones

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has had a lousy 10 (and 17) game stretch that is for sure. Three weeks ago he had an .891 OPS and was looking like the Chris Davis of at least 2012, if not 2013. Since then, he has looked totally lost.
Really a 3 week slump and he's toast? Check out AJ's numbers the last 3 weeks. Look at ARoid, two hip surgeries, he's out for a over a year and he is still able to be productive at 40. Or Howard whom every body was certain was done. Players tend to look lost when they slump. I'd give him another month before I'm thinking he's toast.

Really a 3 week slump and he's toast? Check out AJ's numbers the last 3 weeks. Look at ARoid, two hip surgeries, he's out for a over a year and he is still able to be productive at 40. Or Howard whom every body was certain was done. Players tend to look lost when they slump. I'd give him another month before I'm thinking he's toast.

True but he was terrible all of last season and hit .245 after the All Star break in 2013. He has looked lost for over a year so it's hard to imagine that he is going to snap out of it.

Are they even getting a 500 OPS out of the shortstop position?

What about left and right field?

Second base?

Agreed. It's unfortunate that Hardy and Schoop got hurt so the lack of production at SS and 2nd are understandable and it's fair to assume that it will get better as those guys get healthy. It really hurts b/c Hardy and Schoop are two of the better defenders on the team too. In contrast RF and LF were both weaknesses heading into the season.

Agreed. It's unfortunate that Hardy and Schoop got hurt so the lack of production at SS and 2nd are understandable and it's fair to assume that it will get better as those guys get healthy. It really hurts b/c Hardy and Schoop are two of the better defenders on the team too. In contrast RF and LF were both weaknesses heading into the season.

Not to mention losing both of your utility infielders.

RF and LF did not look like huge weaknesses going into the season, and in ST, looked pretty good.

For the most part the first few weeks of the season, was poor SP, and not the offense.

Now, that the pitching is coming around, the offense is slumping.

I seem to remember him knocking in the only run the O's had last night.

Chris is on pace to hit 30 homers, knock in 87 runs and strike out 241 times and play good defense. Its kind of mixed bag but if that is who Chris is this year I can live with it. With that many strikeouts I don't see him getting a huge long term contract but he will get paid.

The O's have a lot bigger problems on offense than Chris IMO.

That is the problem. I wouldn't mind Davis if the rest of the team could hit. But when they can't score runs Davis becomes even more bad.

Any argument as to who is"killing us" should also include, unfortunately J.J.Hardy. Yes, he's putting the bat on the ball, but at about.180 with just 4 RBI and 1 HR., a total of 3 extra base hits, he isn't doing a lot for us either.

He' only two behind Delmon in less then 60% the at bats!

Right now the entire lineup is scuffling. I can't say with any confidence that CD will turn it around and frankly I suspect we will not see much more from CD than we did last season based on the results to date. He has been a rally killer with his inability to make contact. All that said, the available options and their numbers to date this season are not exactly pushing the issue. Pearce has looked a wee bit better but is scuffling on the whole for the year. Walker is hitting .240's at Norfolk and has an OBP of less than .300 with only a pair of HR's which is hardly pushing the issue.

A lot of people here have argued that strikeouts are no worse than any other out. I agree with you, Davis isn't even making productive outs and that is killing the team since he is batting in the middle of the order.

Herman. Please read the below link/quote/study and respond.

http://www.tangotiger.net/strikeout.html

An out is an out is an out

Overall, an out is an out. The run value of a strikeout is roughly the same as any other out. On average. There are individual cases where a strikeout is much worse than another type of out: runner on 3B and less than two outs. In this case, a strikeout is a killer, as was detailed in The Book. There are situations where a strikeout is actually preferable than another out: runner on 1B and less than 2 outs, since you won't ground into a double play on a strikeout. Overall, there's not much to choose between a strikeout or a regular out. The difference is around .01 or .02 runs per out. Being 100 strikeouts worse than average means that your strikeouts have a additional direct cost of 1 or 2 runs.

But, that's not what we talk about when we talk about cutting down your K rate. We are talking about changing your hitting approach to lower strikeouts (and presumably walks and homeruns), and increase contact. Overall, we would hope that the production of the hitter increases. But, who are we to tell Adam Dunn or Alfonso Soriano that they need to change their approach to hitting? They must be doing something right.

Any argument as to who is"killing us" should also include, unfortunately J.J.Hardy. Yes, he's putting the bat on the ball, but at about.180 with just 4 RBI and 1 HR., a total of 3 extra base hits, he isn't doing a lot for us either.

Hardy has been pretty bad.

Hardy's AB in general have looked a lot better than AJ's or CD's. He is hitting the ball hard often the other way.

It is true that other positions aren't getting the job done either but let's be honest not all players have the same importance. Davis can be a difference maker, in some other spots you are just hoping for league average.

Archived