Trading a SP, rank the order...

EagleOriole

I think the Orioles have an opportunity to trade a starting pitcher ASAP and actually improve the ball club...given the contract status and performance Bud Norris would be the obvious choice. Lets take him off the table. Which starter then would you be willing to deal to open up a spot for Gausman/Wright and to get a piece for the future. Plenty of teams are in serious need...Royals and Astros to name two. Who would you like to see the Orioles shop?

Tillman would probably bring back the most value

They should trade Chen, if they know (and they should know) that they aren't going to sign him

They won't trade any stating pitching until they see how the AL East shakes out.

If Cuetto and Justin Upton find their way to the AL East it may force the O's hand

They should trade Chen, if they know (and they should know) that they aren't going to sign him

They won't trade any stating pitching until they see how the AL East shakes out.

If Cuetto and Justin Upton find their way to the AL East it may force the O's hand

But will they get more in return then his value to the team this year + Draft pick?

I agree.

I doubt that they trade any of their starters unless they collapse.

To address the OP, I think the ranking order would be Chen ( pnending free agent who will most likely leave), Jimenez ( If he keeps performing at this level, he would net a decent return despite his contract status), Tillman ( Other teams still see his upside despite his struggles.) Gonzalez( Cheap and under control for the next few years.) Gonzalez is the guy that I would keep over everyone else. He's a solid starter who is cheap and under control for the next few years.

The only way I can see this happening is if they feel that Gausman and or Wright is ready to be in the rotation. Further, the Orioles really value their pitching depth, and my belief is that they will not make a deal that includes one of their starters.

Is Cueto healthy?

Is Cueto healthy?

Maybe not just read that he missed a couple starts with a sore elbow.

Pretty ominous seeing that they let him throw 243 innings last year after only 60 the year before

another Verducci effect elbow injury?

Sucks to be a Reds fan this year

Maybe not just read that he missed a couple starts with a sore elbow.

Pretty ominous seeing that they let him throw 243 innings last year after only 60 the year before

another Verducci effect elbow injury?

Sucks to be a Reds fan this year

If you are going to accuse the Verducci effect then you should know that it only applies to pitchers aged 25 and under. Last season was the age 28 season for Cueto. Of course the fact that he pitched 217 innings in 2012 would also prohibit him from being a candidate.

Miguel Gonzalez could be an excellent trade candidate. He is always dependable and has two more years after this one under team control.

He just turned 31, and the O's might be skttish about keeping a finesse RHP whose velocity could very well decline over the next several years.

Trading for him might be worth giving up a young corner outfielder or 1B for some teams, depending on their depth.

Miguel Gonzalez could be an excellent trade candidate. He is always dependable and has two more years after this one under team control.

He just turned 31, and the O's might be skttish about keeping a finesse RHP whose velocity could very well decline over the next several years.

Trading for him might be worth giving up a young corner outfielder or 1B for some teams, depending on their depth.

You mean a Smoak, Ruf or Domonic Brown?

You mean a Smoak, Ruf or Domonic Brown?

I didn't have anyone in particular in mind. I'm no good at that. Someone who will be under team control for a few years. Maybe someone who is stuck behind a starter, as Chris Davis was in Texas.

Norris could pitch himself into a trade by the end of July.

I'm not sure that's possible at this point. If he pitches well until July, the team might very well be in the thick of the race and need his arm. Heck, they are now even playing sub-.500 ball. If he pitches badly and we're out of it by the break, who would trade anything of value for half a season of a hot mess of a pitcher?

In order of trade value:

Gonzalez

Chen

Tillman

Gausman

Wright

Bundy

Wilson

Ubaldo

Norris

I'd push Chen down to 4th in that group and leave the rest intact. Chen only has about a half year of team control so whoever gets him will probably lose him at the end of the year. Tillman is under team control for a few more years as is Gausman. Gausman has shown flashes of brilliance and someone is going to think they can be the one to bring out his consistency. Tillman has shown he can be a legit #2 type starter. He'll get it turned around and other teams know this.

Though Chen may have a lot of value to a larger market team that feels that by picking him up in a trade gives them a better chance to re-sign him in FA. Somebody like the Dodgers, the Angels, the Mets, the Braves, etc.

Archived