What's up with Attendance?

RoarFrom85

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if that's the reason or not. The Senators and O's

in the past. I wonder if attendance is down for every team.

MLB is just not as popular as it once was. IMO

Overall MLB attendance goes up almost every year. How many teams drew 3 mill+ in the 80s? Or even 2 mill?

There is a tremendous amount of cultural diversity in Baltimore for the size of the city and the economics of the area. The Arts are well represented.

Oh I know. As someone who was accepted into the Baltimore School for the Arts but chose Poly instead (class of '92) and had friends at MICA and has attended ARTscape and AFRAM for many years I'm aware of the cultural diversity of my hometown.

I do feel that the cultural gems of Baltimore are well-known by Baltimoreans and not so much from tourists unwilling to travel up Howard Street or Eutaw Street to parts of town that might be "too dark" for some.

As I stated earlier, I know many people who think of Baltimore's cultural offerings as the Inner Harbor, OPACY and Fell's Point and that's all (maybe Federal Hill). With the demographics of the inner city of Baltimore coupled with the fear-mongering of the mass media, it could lead to a willful ignorance about the rich offerings of the city.

I've mentioned stuff like AFRAM and ARTscape to a lot of people who aren't from town and they give me blank stares about it. Some might not be comfortable in those settings.

MSK

Oh I know. As someone who was accepted into the Baltimore School for the Arts but chose Poly instead (class of '92) and had friends at MICA and has attended ARTscape and AFRAM for many years I'm aware of the cultural diversity of my hometown.

I do feel that the cultural gems of Baltimore are well-known by Baltimoreans and not so much from tourists unwilling to travel up Howard Street or Eutaw Street to parts of town that might be "too dark" for some.

As I stated earlier, I know many people who think of Baltimore's cultural offerings as the Inner Harbor, OPACY and Fell's Point and that's all (maybe Federal Hill). With the demographics of the inner city of Baltimore coupled with the fear-mongering of the mass media, it could lead to a willful ignorance about the rich offerings of the city.

I've mentioned stuff like AFRAM and ARTscape to a lot of people who aren't from town and they give me blank stares about it. Some might not be comfortable in those settings.

MSK

I'm comfortable with all of those settings and all of those Baltimore gems.

Good to hear. Not everyone is unafraid of their neighbors.

Especially nowadays.

Glad to see that you give Baltimore the benefit of the doubt.

MSK

I like to explore Glad to see Metro Gallery is back and having more cool shows.Going to see Jim Adkins of Jimmy Eats World Also Tommy Keene.Guy must be 80.Had that hit a long time ago PThese are places that have gone.Place is near MICA and Charles TheatreTheatres

I've offered everyone I can find free tickets to use to the gnome game. No one will go because they say it's not safe.

Are you going and just have extras or won't be able to go? If you are going and can't find anyone else to take those tickets, if you could score an extra gnome, I'd try to make it worth your while if you could ship it to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, riots will have a hangover in terms of image that it will take time to overcome. That is not Bmore specific, but true wherever in the world there has been any form of trouble. My closest city in the UK - Nottingham - was known for a long time as the 'murder capital' of the UK due to the amount of gun crime in the inner city. Of course, most of this was gang/drug related and didn't impact anyone in the city centre or at sporting venues. It didn't stop people casting worried looks when I said I was going out in the city though, for some time.

For what it's worth, I suspect recent shaky attendance in the Boston and New York games probably owed as much to the recent offensive slump, where it became painful to watch our guys swing and miss for three hours. Many people will plan in a game some days in advance, rather than on the moment and so hopefully the improved production at the plate will see things improve.

Incidently, during my recent week long trip to the city, the riots barely registered with me - Had no concerns travelling around downtown, inner harbour, fells, lexington, hampden. Ok, mostly tourist-trail places but still.

I can't figure out how to upload an image from my hard drive but I put together a quick chart that showed no significant difference between 2014 and 2015 nor between pre and post riot.
It is actually closer if you take out any rain outs or the "No Fans" games.

2014 - 30495 (30 games)

2015 - 29492 (29 games)

Approx. 3% difference

This is consistent with what I had observed in the main attendance thread. Attendance already was trending a little down before the riots occurred, and it continues to trend a little down, once you take out the games directly affected by the roots. So while I don't discount that the riots have had some measurable affect, there is something more going on here.

I went to last night's game with my family, parked at the garage at Penn & Pratt, and didn't feel the slightest bit unsafe. But everyone is different, and if 1-2% of people are nervous, well, there goes 1-2% of your attendance (probably less, since season ticket and advance sales that occurred before the riots are unaffected). But that doesn't explain why attendance was down a bit before the riots. It surprises me but we've debated it to death in the other thread. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/147155-2015-Attendance-Thread?highlight=attendance

MSK

"Too dark" or the crime rate is higher there? Or maybe the "cultural gems" in those areas don't appeal to everyone else.

And one day when you have a family you may understand why families don't want to risk everything to venture to areas that are not completely safe. You call it "living" families call it "unnecessary risk."

"Too dark" or the crime rate is higher there? Or maybe the "cultural gems" in those areas don't appeal to everyone else.

And one day when you have a family you may understand why families don't want to risk everything to venture to areas that are not completely safe. You call it "living" families call it "unnecessary risk."

This is all making a negative assumption based on the demographics of an area or who the audience is for a particular event.

ARTscape is one of the safest events in town and tends to attract all kinds of people from Baltimore and the surrounding counties.

Let's speak frankly here, it sounds like you're equating these events with "black street thugs" and that's completely unfair. How can anyone take an "unnecessary risk" if you attend a cultural event of music, art and fashion? (I'm also speaking of AFRAM).

If the majority of people attending these events are working-class to middle-class, where's the risk?

What makes you think I DON'T have a family? I was born and raised in Baltimore, spending a good chunk of time between Waverly (33rd street and Westerwald) and the Sandtown-Winchester area that was directly impacted by the unfortunate uprising. I know those neighborhoods, who lives there and (most important) who doesn't live there.

In any case, getting back to the point, there is tremendous fear-mongering out there based on race and class and sadly, too many fall into the trap of fear and not applying logic or reason to a situation. This fear has had a measurable impact on Orioles attendance, but I feel that you might see a spike in July and August when more families are actually free for vacations.

MSK

Archived