Caleb says that the rest he gets from Wieters return help keep him strong.

wildcard

I wrote this two weeks ago basically. Joseph's batting line on a day of rest (catching with at least one calendar day off in between) is currently .306/.358/.500/.858

It's a small sample size, only 18 games and 62 AB, but he also hit a teeny bit better last year on days of rest and he cratered in September when he started reaching a career high in games caught.

Not sure if anything is there, but so far he isn't wrong.

It seems that the number 2 catcher (on all teams) will become more and more important in the future. Guys like Teagarden, a once a week type may be history. Number 1 catchers may be reduced to 100-110 games a season. I have always been a bit tepid about Wieters, the more I see him upon his return, the more I'd like him to be resigned. I know it won't happen, but I'd much prefer him to Davis and MW could do some 1B duty too.

I was going to make a thread hypothesizing this very thing, but Caleb has preemptively addressed it. This is not your normal backup. I think Buck finds a way to get him 2-3 games a week and he shines now that he's not carrying the catching duties on his back.

Joseph has really turned his offensive game around since last year. I remember Buck saying that he has hit everyone he has been, give him some time....man, was he right.

I would be quite happy with Joseph as our full-time catcher next year. I just think we need a solid backup to spell him and keep him fresh.

Love me some Celeb!

Joseph has really turned his offensive game around since last year. I remember Buck saying that he has hit everyone he has been, give him some time....man, was he right.

I would be quite happy with Joseph as our full-time catcher next year. I just think we need a solid backup to spell him and keep him fresh.

Love me some Celeb!

I liked Nick Hundley. Myself.

I liked Nick Hundley. Myself.

Hundley was/is really good in that catch half the games role. I'm not surprised that Caleb said this. When he said was happy MW was back, you could tell he was wearing down. Looking towards next year, Joseph and Clevenger should give us areally good, cheap production.

Hundley was/is really good in that catch half the games role. I'm not surprised that Caleb said this. When he said was happy MW was back, you could tell he was wearing down. Looking towards next year, Joseph and Clevenger should give us areally good, cheap production.

Right. I'm thrilled with how Matt has done since his return and I'm willing to accept that he brings some intangible to the clubhouse and dugout.

(But) as far as straight catching goes, I would be very happy with Caleb and Clev next season, assuming that Clevenger maintains the gains that he reportedly has made defensively.

Archived