One Hundred Games to Go

Uli2001

The O's are at .500 with 100 games to go. They got some players back from injury and it's like a new 100-game season is starting right now.

How many games do they need to win to make the playoffs? To win the division? I think NYY falling back is just a matter of time (and Father Time), while Toronto always gets hot at some point of the season and then they disappear. I think going 60-40 wins the division.

I'd just like to get into the playoffs. 88 wins and a wild card birth is fine with me.

Toronto is currently playing like an unstoppable force of nature. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they ran away with the division. Their offense is that good.

I'd just like to get into the playoffs. 88 wins and a wild card birth is fine with me.

Toronto is currently playing like an unstoppable force of nature. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they ran away with the division. Their offense is that good.

Tell me something new. Toronto always has a high-powered offense. But they never make the playoffs.

60-40 over 100 games might do it (91 wins). .600 ball. So far that seems like a tall task. But a healthier team might get it done...

Exactly, .600 ball is not out of the realm of possibility for this team, but they had better get started (or keep it up) right now. They can't afford to resume playing .500 ball for any period of time. Getting 3 out of 4 from Philly would be a good start.

Tell me something new. Toronto always has a high-powered offense. But they never make the playoffs.

Until they do. I wouldn't dismiss them so easily. Their offense is the real deal and if they keep scoring like this it won't matter how bad their pitching is.

Until they do. I wouldn't dismiss them so easily. Their offense is the real deal and if they keep scoring like this it won't matter how bad their pitching is.

In the end, big offense gets you highlights on ESPN and winning streaks, but big pitching and defense (plus timely offense) puts you in the playoffs. Big offense is just too volatile to rely on, as the Orioles found out in the month of May.

2012: O's started 36-26 and went 57-43 over the final 100 games

2013: O's started 34-28 and went 51-49 over the final 100 games

2014: O's started 32-30 and went 64-36 over the final 100 games

I was surprised to see how well the 2012 Orioles played in the first 62 games. I'd forgotten they started that well. They actually got as high as 39-27 before going into a major tailspin and dropping to 46-44. Then they took off and never looked back. In my memory, I had thought they had hovered around .500 all the way to the 90-game mark, but in reality, they started very well before falling back almost all the way to .500.

The 2013 team actually played pretty well all the way to the 100-game mark, when they were 57-43. Then they went 28-34 the rest of the way.

Bottom line, this team hasn't played great, but they are in the thick of the race and there is plenty of time for them to finish with a very good record.

.600 is a tall order for this team. Fortunately I don't think it will take 90 W to get a WC. Unfortunately the difference between making the playoffs and not will most likely come down to Norris and giving him too many starts.

2012: O's started 36-26 and went 57-43 over the final 100 games

2013: O's started 34-28 and went 51-49 over the final 100 games

2014: O's started 32-30 and went 64-36 over the final 100 games

I was surprised to see how well the 2012 Orioles played in the first 62 games. I'd forgotten they started that well. They actually got as high as 39-27 before going into a major tailspin and dropping to 46-44. Then they took off and never looked back. In my memory, I had thought they had hovered around .500 all the way to the 90-game mark, but in reality, they started very well before falling back almost all the way to .500.

The 2013 team actually played pretty well all the way to the 100-game mark, when they were 57-43. Then they went 28-34 the rest of the way.

Bottom line, this team hasn't played great, but they are in the thick of the race and there is plenty of time for them to finish with a very good record.

Thanks, that's an interesting analysis. The question becomes, is this 2013 or 2014? I would say that the 2015 team has a better bullpen than 2013 (Jim Johnson), and a lesser offense than 2014 (Cruz). Just about everything else is the same. A weak AL East however is more reminiscent of 2014 than 2013. In the end, this may be what gets the 2015 version in the playoffs.

.600 is a tall order for this team. Fortunately I don't think it will take 90 W to get a WC. Unfortunately the difference between making the playoffs and not will most likely come down to Norris and giving him too many starts.

Hopefully Miguel will be back soon and Gausman is on his way.

I don't think this team is capable of play .600 ball over the next 100 games. Anything is possible and I will root for it. But, I just don't think we have enough talent as presently constructed. Also, I'm of the opinion that the current team has got to sink or swim with what they have. With the impending free agent losses, we need to guard and protect our young players, not grasp at the veteran that could make us a wild card.

Archived