If the O's are buyers, what do they buy?

wildcard

The O's defense is at or near the top of the league.

Their offense is near 2nd in the league in runs per game.

Their bullpen is in the top three in ERA.

Their starter are 10th in ERA. Good starters are expensive in dollars and young talent in trade. Do they really trade for a starter?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their starter are 10th in ERA. Good starters are expensive in dollars and young talent in trade. Do they really trade for a starter?

A left handed shut-down reliever.

No, you play with the hand that you have now.

No reason to mortgage the future for the now.

If these young arms mature as we hope they will, this team will be blessed for many years.

I doubt we will, but I would take a look at Cueto. Our defense is sound, our offense is good enough. To me the big thing we are missing is an ace TOR starter. Someone who can go up against a Kershaw or Bumgarner and give us a chance. Maybe offering Bundy and some lower level prospects.

Corner outfielder is a possibility, but I don't see Upton being worth the price. Second tier guys aren't going to be an improvement over what we got.

More likely an incremental move for a reliever, similar to the Miller deal.

I doubt we will, but I would take a look at Cueto. Our defense is sound, our offense is good enough. To me the big thing we are missing is an ace TOR starter. Someone who can go up against a Kershaw or Bumgarner and give us a chance. Maybe offering Bundy and some lower level prospects.

Corner outfielder is a possibility, but I don't see Upton being worth the price. Second tier guys aren't going to be an improvement over what we got.

More likely an incremental move for a reliever, similar to the Miller deal.

You cannot trade Bundy now. I am all about Bundy finding his health and becoming a member of our rotation next year. That is the focus for Mr. Bundy. I am pulling for the young man, believe me. But his trade value right now is low. Very low. In fact you get back very little for him. You get nothing back as valuable as what he might be if we hold on to him. Gaussman has value still, but I would not trade him either.

I think that Cuato will reach free agency at the end of this season. I don't want to "rent" Cueto for 3 months in exchange for prospects. It would take a lot more than Bundy and "lower level prospects" to land Cueto. It would take top prospects. The only way that I would consider trading for Cueto is if he could be signed to a contract so he doesn't end up becoming a rental.

I think that Cuato will reach free agency at the end of this season. I don't want to "rent" Cueto for 3 months in exchange for prospects. It would take a lot more than Bundy and "lower level prospects" to land Cueto. It would take top prospects. The only way that I would consider trading for Cueto is if he could be signed to a contract so he doesn't end up becoming a rental.

When you extend a player you trade for, you pay the full value of his FA contract and you give up talent. When you sign a FA you give up draft picks. Cueto's arm has been balky enough that if you want to try to bid for him, it would be good to watch the rest of the season. Trading for Lester and Samardzija and Hammel helped none last year.

Duquette on acquistion cited Miller's strikeout ability specifically last year, I imagine this year's strategy is similar.

It's blunt, but you can probably make a reasonable preference list just looking at reliever K/9 among possible sellers.

Today I'd say that's BOS, CHW, OAK, MIA, PHI, CIN, MIL, COL, SD, ARZ, and list would be:

15.7 Chapman/CIN

13.3 Kimbrel/SD

13.3 Putnam/CHW

11.8 Smith/MIL

11.2 Logan/COL

10.5 Papelbon/PHI

10.3 Perez/ARZ

10.2 Uehara/BOS - last year's partner, Koji didn't burn any bridges

9.8 Scribner/OAK

9.8 K-Rod/MIL - been there, done that, won't be rerun

9.3 DeFratus/PHI

8.6 Clippard/OAK

8.6 Tazawa/BOS

8.5 Dunn/MIA

8.4 Duke/CWS

8.0 Benoit/SD

If manager shift sparks Padres, Kimbrel will come off market but he might be in mix with Chapman if the team continues to scuffle.

Those two are the obvious top tier.

Beyond this year, Kimbrel signed for 2/25. Chapman has Arb3 club control next season and figures to set RP arb records.

That's the market I see us in. We can't afford much 2.50 FIP and what we can we aim to have in the late innings.

Wally has a big job ahead of him.

That's my opinion.

This team was 4 games under on 1 June and now 2 games over .500.

On this same date back last season, they were only 3 games over .500.

They have been playing very good ball, and just went 8-2 on the last 10 game span.

That's my opinion.

This team was 4 games under on 1 June and now 2 games over .500.

On this same date back last season, they were only 3 games over .500.

They have been playing very good ball, and just went 8-2 on the last 10 game span.

But they have been playing losing teams. Blue Jays will be a good test.

If the current talent is not enough then so be it. There are way to many questions about next season to trade anyone for this season. Stand pat and see where the current team goes. If anything start actually making some player decisions this season and put together a team that can play 5 nights a week without switching it up every day.

Archived