This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

Exactly. It wasn't a "mess" 10 games ago.

Dan was counting on bounce-back seasons from Manny, Davis and Wieters and they responded. Manny's having a career year with more HRs already than in any full season. I'd rather have this Davis than last year's model.

In the game of baseball, odd things happen. Every day you see something you never saw before. So I'm not going to sweat a bad 10 game stretch where the following happens:

The team leading the Majors in hitting with runners in scoring position suddenly hits around .100 in this stretch.

The best bullpen in the league suddenly starts blowing leads mid to late in the games.

A wild pitch on a strikeout that would have tied the game, instead bounces off the brick wall straight back to the pitcher, who throws our guy out.

Two days in a row ChiSox outfielders make unbelievable home run robbing catches of Davis, one of which again would have tied the game.

The bounces have not gone our way this week. It happens. Take two out of 3 from the Nats heading into the break and we'll be fine. Even if we get swept and head into the break 2 games under .500, we still have half the season to go. I'm a baseball fan for the long haul. 10 games does not a season make.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. It wasn't a "mess" 10 games ago.

Dan was counting on bounce-back seasons from Manny, Davis and Wieters and they responded. Manny's having a career year with more HRs already than in any full season. I'd rather have this Davis than last year's model.

I agree that Manny has been phenomenal.

I also agree this years Davis is better than last but that is not saying a ton. CD has a WAR of 1.3 and that is pretty disappointing to me. We cant just use these statistics when they suit us and they pretty much tell us that Davis has been not so great.

Davis wont be the reason we lose the division if we did but he certainly has not done much to set us apart either.

Either that or leave him RF and get a 1B who can hit.

Snider, Pearce, Parmelee, Lough, and Reimold. That is a whole bunch of meh

But you don't answer my question? Who would you get who is hitting .800 +OPS, has 19 HR and 52 RBI? And what would you have to give up to get him. Or are you saying we should get a little better meh than what we have?

I agree that Manny has been phenomenal.

I also agree this years Davis is better than last but that is not saying a ton. CD has a WAR of 1.3 and that is pretty disappointing to me. We cant just use these statistics when they suit us and they pretty much tell us that Davis has been not so great.

Davis wont be the reason we lose the division if we did but he certainly has not done much to set us apart either.

To me, this is where some of the new stats don't tell the whole story. Davis has tons of strike outs, not a great WAR, etc. But he still leads the team in homers (with Manny) and RBI, so his value to the team is still pretty good in my mind.

That said, he won't be worth near the money he'll want next year, yet many on here will still bash Mr. Angelos as being cheap for not bringing him and Wieters and the rest of the bunch back.

But you don't answer my question? Who would you get who is hitting .800 +OPS, has 19 HR and 52 RBI? And what would you have to give up to get him. Or are you saying we should get a little better meh than what we have?

Your right....the reality is that all we can likely afford to get with what we have to trade is a little more meh types. I really really do not want this organization to give up real talent for a Jay Bruce type.

Your right....the reality is that all we can likely afford to get with what we have to trade is a little more meh types. I really really do not want this organization to give up real talent for a Jay Bruce type.

But when we do that, for instance in the Ed-Rod for Miller deal, people crucify the FO. They really cannot win no matter what they do.

In the game of baseball, odd things happen. Every day you see something you never saw before. So I'm not going to sweat a bad 10 game stretch where the following happens:

The team leading the Majors in hitting with runners in scoring position suddenly hits around .100 in this stretch.

The best bullpen in the league suddenly starts blowing leads mid to late in the games.

A wild pitch on a strikeout that would have tied the game, instead bounces off the brick wall straight back to the pitcher, who throws our guy out.

Two days in a row ChiSox outfielders make unbelievable home run robbing catches of Davis, one of which again would have tied the game.

The bounces have not gone our way this week. It happens. Take two out of 3 from the Nats heading into the break and we'll be fine. Even if we get swept and head into the break 2 games under .500, we still have half the season to go. I'm a baseball fan for the long haul. 10 games does not a season make.

We went 18 and 5. Are we that good? Then we went 2 and 8. Are we that bad? We have gone 20 and 13 for our last 33. Is that who we are? Lets see how we do the next 12.

..... I can see my favorite troll has once again followed my opinion with "ridiculous", "ludicrous" and other kind phrases, so what do I know?

LOL, well, I'm pretty sure I'm your favorite troll. I even went out of my way not to respond to your post and your cohort stotle actually picked up the mantle on this.

I gave very specific parameters with respect to Davis and as to why its ridculous/lidicrous criticism. Virtually no GM under similar circumstances would have traded off Davis after his MVP caliber year, much less Wieters and Hardy along with him. If you want to address that and the specific paramaters I provided in comparison to your vision, then man up and engage me like stotle does.

Look, I have no problem with you calling me a troll. Go for it. Just stop your whining from now on and stop being such a wuss about how I am misrepresenting you when you have me on ignore and how unfair that is. Stop bothering weams with pm's while you're at it.

But when we do that, for instance in the Ed-Rod for Miller deal, people crucify the FO. They really cannot win no matter what they do.

That's true. I actually was ok with E-Rod for Miller deal. At the time E-Rod was struggling and Miller was a significant upgrade. You got to give up something for something. The key with that trade is that Miller was a significant upgrade and that was borne out in his play while here. Its a rare trade where both teams got what they wanted.

If the O's gave up talent but get a guy who is a clear upgrade like Miller was then I can probably be down with it depending on who it is we give up. Jay Bruce to me might be a slight upgrade but not enough of one to justify giving up real talent. Not sure if am making sense here. Guess what I am saying is that the type of guys who would be to RF/1B what Miller was for the bullpen last year will likely be a little to rich for our blood in terms of a trade.

LOL, well, I'm pretty sure I'm your favorite troll. I even went out of my way not to respond to your post and your cohart stotle actually picked up the mantle on this.

I gave very specific parameters with respect to Davis and as to why its ridculous/lidicrous criticism. Virtually no GM under similar circumstances would have traded off Davis after his MVP caliber year, much less Wieters and Hardy along with him. If you want to address that and the specific paramaters I provided in comparison to your vision, then man up and engage me like stotle does.

Look, I have no problem with you calling me a troll. Go for it. Just stop your whining from now on and stop being such a wuss about how I am misrepresenting you when you have me on ignore and how unfair that is. Stop bothering weams with pm's while you're at it.

If DD had traded CD then, 99% of this board would have raided the warehouse and promptly transported DD to Sheppard Pratt.

Ridiculous and Ludicrous is a pretty apt description of suggesting DD should have done that. Nobody expected that dramatic a drop in productivity. Some drop....sure but not to the extreme that came to pass.

LOL, well, I'm pretty sure I'm your favorite troll. I even went out of my way not to respond to your post and your cohart stotle actually picked up the mantle on this.

haha -- I never thought I'd see the day where hoosiers and I were referred to as "cohorts". Message boards are truly crazy places.

So you agree a 120 million dollar payroll is a "meager allowance" ? That is downright funny. If you want to be critical of how the money was spent then that is prob fair game but to say that the team is cheap or operates on a meager allowance is just utterly silly.

Show me one MLB team that does not engage in roster manipulation. The O's may be on the extreme of that occasion but not all that is by design.

No I do not think that the Orioles are cheap but I do think that they could spend more and I also don't think they spent their money as efficiently as they could have. The Nationals receive significantly less of the MASN resources yet have a payroll that is $50 million higher. That's difficult to accept. The Orioles don't draft well and they do a poor job of developing pitchers so they have to spend some money to compete.

There's roster manipulation and then there's what the Orioles do. Chen was just sent down to the minors! They have a bunch of part time platoon players that are getting rotated into the starting lineup. Having depth is important but what the Orioles are doing is certainly interesting. You might disagree but I don't think that the combination of Reimold, Parmele, Pearce, Lough, Snider and Flaherty are the answer.

Well, since this is a mess DD made over the winter, what would you have spent in $$$ or trade to get that bat. And don't say Cruz because he is neither an OF or a 1B.

We went 18 and 5. Are we that good? Then we went 2 and 8. Are we that bad? We have gone 20 and 13 for our last 33. Is that who we are? Lets see how we do the next 12.

I agree. I think their overall record reflects the team well. Average

No I do not think that the Orioles are cheap but I do think that they could spend more and I also don't think they spent their money as efficiently as they could have. The Nationals receive significantly less of the MASN resources yet have a payroll that is $50 million higher. That's difficult to accept. The Orioles don't draft well and they do a poor job of developing pitchers so they have to spend some money to compete.

There's roster manipulation and then there's what the Orioles do. Chen was just sent down to the minors! They have a bunch of part time platoon players that are getting rotated into the starting lineup. Having depth is important but what the Orioles are doing is certainly interesting. You might disagree but I don't think that the combination of Reimold, Parmele, Pearce, Lough, Snider and Flaherty are the answer.

Yet, this team managed to have the best record in baseball going back over the previous 3 seasons total.

Archived