Is Steve Pearce Starting to Hit?

Aristotelian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops, computer freaked out.

Slowly but surely, his AVG has climbed from a low of .176 in mid-May to .232 at present. His last few starts:

2 for 4

1 for 3

1 for 2 (2B, BB)

1 for 4

2 for 4, 2B

0 for 2

3 for 5, 2 x 3B

0 for 2, HBP

1 for 4, #B

1 for 3

3 for 5

1 for 4

Problem is, with the opt out guys playing time is scarce. Does anyone want to see more of Pearce, less of Parmelee, even against LHP?

If you split Pearce's season into nearly two halves, at-bats-wise, he's hit .274/.330/.464 in the second half (84 ABs), incl. all three of his home runs. I think he's back, the O's believe in him, and are just seeing how the Parmalee experiment goes for two-three weeks more at most.

If I had a nickle for the number of times someone has said this to me among my circle of friends/O's fans I could certainly buy myself a nice refreshing Slurpee on this steamy day. Until it happens with great consistency not buying in

Buck is playing him the way he should and against the left handers. He hasdone nothing vs right handers and needs to be platooned. Even last year were he was decent vs right handers he was much better vs the lefties. Now the question is can Parmalee and Snider ht well enough to platoon with him or will Buck have to start playing him more against right handers.

There is such a thing as a second half player. And remember Pierce was DFA'D last year he was that bad before June.

Is there? I would be very surprised if there were more than a random scattering of examples of healthy players who consistently hit better in one half or the other. Maybe with a handful of exceptions for fatigue, especially among catchers, or maybe pre-lights Cubs. I can't imagine a reason why a player would take three months to get going every year. Of course with a large enough sample (say, 144 years of MLB history) you'll find some small number of players who regularly hit better in any situation. I'm sure you can find a few examples of players who clearly hit better on Tuesdays.

I usually pay no mind to the rep system and don't use it myself, but the fact that I got neg-repped for this is hilarious, petty, sad, and puts to rest any "there are no factions on this forum" talk.

Huh, that feels like a mistake to me. Was there a negative comment to go along with it? I have had a couple negative reps that were intended to be positive.

Is there? I would be very surprised if there were more than a random scattering of examples of healthy players who consistently hit better in one half or the other. Maybe with a handful of exceptions for fatigue, especially among catchers, or maybe pre-lights Cubs. I can't imagine a reason why a player would take three months to get going every year. Of course with a large enough sample (say, 144 years of MLB history) you'll find some small number of players who regularly hit better in any situation. I'm sure you can find a few examples of players who clearly hit better on Tuesdays.

For the same reason, I hate it when any commentator or statistical overlay mentions a player's hitting or pitching results lifetime against one team. Of all the arbitrary numbers thrown around, that's got to be one of the most meaningless. You might as well talk about the hitter's lifetime batting average against pitchers who are progressive Democrats.

Slowly but surely, his AVG has climbed from a low of .176 in mid-May to .232 at present. His last few starts:

2 for 4

1 for 3

1 for 3 (2B)

I don't know, I think Pearce had his career year last year and has settled back into who he really is.

Ala Bud Norris.

Archived