Is Steve Pearce Starting to Hit?

Aristotelian

I think you can argue that we've really stunted this team's progress with the Reimold/Parmalee experiments.
It was hard to guess at the time, but rearview, it appears to me that you are right.

My feeling is that it has made very little difference one way or the other. However, at this point I like Pearce's chances of getting hot better than the others. There are no sure things here, I just like his odds a little better.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you can argue that we've really stunted this team's progress with the Reimold/Parmalee experiments. We've seen that neither is a panacea; I would play Pearce nearly every day at this point and hope he can recapture some of last year's form.

You could add Snider to the list. In hindsight, his performance in the second half last season seems to be more outlier than predictor. Creating competition among Snider, Pearce, De Aza and Young reduced playing time for all. Perhaps we'd have done better to not add Snider and kept Delmon in his platoon DH/PH role, sticking with Pearce and De Aza in the corner spots. How ironic that De Aza now has better for the season than any of the others. Oh well, can't turn back the clock.

My feeling is that it has made very little difference one way or the other. However, at this point I like Pearce's chances of getting hot better than the others. There are no sure things here, I just like his odds a little better.

I agree. I think you just play Pearce at this point and I really think he's going to hit.

The question for me, frankly, is why the Parmalee experiment is continuing. I get it that some folks like his defense, but it doesn't appear to be that spectacular to me.

• 1 month later...
I agree with Roy -- I'd like to see a steady diet of Pearce in the lineup.

I think he should play in some capacity every night until the end of the season so they can make their assessment about the off-season.

I like the potential production that Pearce, Jones and Parra can provide, but I don't like him as a replacement for Davis.

We will see Pearce every night unless he starts to really struggle. 2014 Pearce (if that person still exists somewhere) would be the shot in the arm for this club...

For me it's more about next year at this point. Pearce needs to play, and shod have played more even though he slumped early. This roster was mismanaged from day one this season.

For me it's more about next year at this point. Pearce needs to play, and shod have played more even though he slumped early. This roster was mismanaged from day one this season.

I think Pearce was playing hurt all along. If anything he should have been DL'ed earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have no problem giving Pearce 2/8. But it always seems like the guys wrists are always barking. 350 PA's seems to be his max. We were just snake bitten in LF/RF this year. At the end of the year you look up and Pearce is back to a .713 OPS, De Aza is at .755, and Reimold is at .737. But none of them could hit the ball in April/May/June. I wouldn't mind having Pearce, Reimold and Parades all back in certain roles for 2016.

Pearce and Reimold just need platoon buddies. Maybe Paredes can pick up LF this winter. Jaso might not be a bad sign to DH. But we're looking at the usual suspects in FA for that role. Rasmus, Murphy, Dejesus, Joyce.

Archived