Should Dan sign Darren O'Day to a 2 or 3 year deal?

Diehard_O's_Fan

Whatever it takes. Even though he is a set-up man/middle reliever, Darrren O'Day is NOT a replaceable machine part. He is a quality reliever, an All-Star. Re-sign him.

I doubt that even the Yanks go into any negotiations saying "whatever it takes". I'm sure there's some point where you'd blink. Would you give him Miller money? Roberts extension money? More?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just like to argue, but why would you pick O'Day? He's only been a full-time major leaguer in five seasons or so. I think someone like Steve Reed would have a better case. Reed was basically Darren O'Day for 14 years.

Darren O'Day is in his eighth season. His numbers are better than Reed's through any eight-year span in his career:

Darren O'Day (2008-2015)

1654 BF, 2.34 ERA, 182 ERA+, 1.000 WHIP, 6.7 H/9, 0.9 HR/9, 2.3 BB/9, 8.6 K/9, 3.75 K/BB

Steve Reed (1995-2002)

2252 BF, 3.35 ERA, 143 ERA+, 1.173 WHIP, 7.7 H/9, 1.0 HR/9, 2.8 BB/9, 7.0 K/9, 2.47 K/BB

Reed does have significantly more batters faced, but that's it. Among relievers with at least 100 games pitched, O'Day is in the top ten all time in ERA+ and WHIP. His career WHIP, for better or worse, is currently tied with one Mariano Rivera... and both statistics rank just ahead of Aroldis Chapman.

Of course he could fall off a cliff, relief pitching is like that... but his style doesn't project that way. He was hurt in 2011 when Texas made the mistake of releasing him; otherwise he's been nothing but consistent. I think he's an important re-sign and I can only hope his price isn't too high.

Darren O'Day is in his eighth season. His numbers are better than Reed's through any eight-year span in his career:

Darren O'Day (2008-2015)

1654 BF, 2.34 ERA, 182 ERA+, 1.000 WHIP, 6.7 H/9, 0.9 HR/9, 2.3 BB/9, 8.6 K/9, 3.75 K/BB

Steve Reed (1995-2002)

2252 BF, 3.35 ERA, 143 ERA+, 1.173 WHIP, 7.7 H/9, 1.0 HR/9, 2.8 BB/9, 7.0 K/9, 2.47 K/BB

Reed does have significantly more batters faced, but that's it. Among relievers with at least 100 games pitched, O'Day is in the top ten all time in ERA+ and WHIP. His career WHIP, for better or worse, is currently tied with one Mariano Rivera... and both statistics rank just ahead of Aroldis Chapman.

Of course he could fall off a cliff, relief pitching is like that... but his style doesn't project that way. He was hurt in 2011 when Texas made the mistake of releasing him; otherwise he's been nothing but consistent. I think he's an important re-sign and I can only hope his price isn't too high.

I am sure, his unorthodox delivery also might have had something to do with it.

Sometimes the baseball "expects" don't respect unorthodox mannerisms.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

I am sure, his unorthodox delivery also might have had something to do with it.

Sometimes the baseball "expects" don't respect unorthodox mannerisms.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Texas also had a very good bullpen at the time coming off a 96 win season. O'Day was going through the arbitration process. Sometimes teams lose talent when the cupboard is full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could see his second half health and effectiveness driving the length of his next contract. His hip was problematic late last year and Buck had to nurse him.

His 2014 Sept/Oct ERA was 7.00, and career 1st/2nd half split is 1.97/2.97. The physicality of his pitching is just different, and if he tapers at the end again this year, the market will ask if you can count on that brilliance at the end of the season.

Darren O'Day (2008-2015)

Steve Reed (1995-2002)

Among relievers with 300+ innings O'Day is 6th in ERA-, Reed is 94th. In RA9-WAR (counting stat, so career length helps) Reed is 53rd, O'Day 80th. In fWAR O'Day is 179th, Reed is... well... like 8,000,000th.

Among relievers with at least 100 games pitched, O'Day is in the top ten all time in ERA+ and WHIP.
Wow, I did not know that. And 10 games is not that high a threshold -- basically two seasons for a reliever.

It's true, but should probably come with a small caveat - eveballing it about 90% of the top 50 in context-adjusted ERA pitched in the last 20 years. With strong bias for the past 5-10 years. Two things in play here: 1) Lots of active guys who haven't had that 3-4 year decline phase that ended their careers. 2) We're in the most-specialized era of all time with a ton of guys who pitch one or fewer innings per outing at max effort with everything set up in their favor. So this isn't quite the same thing as saying you're in the top 10 in doubles or wins or something. In this case the beginning of time is more-or-less 1990. Not to downplay O'Day's effectiveness, he's been excellent. But he's in the best era ever for a one-inning reliever.

I doubt that even the Yanks go into any negotiations saying "whatever it takes". I'm sure there's some point where you'd blink. Would you give him Miller money? Roberts extension money? More?
You say that to yourself. You don't say that to the public. Because otherwise, O'Day's agent will ask for the sun, moon, and stars. However, the opposite extreme, which I see a lot of, is that a middle reliever/set-up guy is a replaceable machine part. Which is not true.

I'm not sure it matters because I also hear/see a lot of talk that O's management plans on letting all of the FAs walk. Not a good idea, but what do I know? I'm only a fan.

There are some good reasons to try and resign O'Day but I would not. Take the 7M it would take to sign him (3/21 minimum probably) and redirect it towards starting pitching (my preference) or offense. Can we replace O'Day? No, but we can still have an above average, low cost bullpen without him. The Orioles need to throw some money at the starting rotation IF they plan on contending next year. And, no, my plan does not include resigning Chen.

I don't know why they can't spend money on both. Petey is 86 years old. What the hell is he pinching pennies for? Pull an Ilitch and go all out to win a World Series before it's too late.

There are some good reasons to try and resign O'Day but I would not. Take the 7M it would take to sign him (3/21 minimum probably) and redirect it towards starting pitching (my preference) or offense. Can we replace O'Day? No, but we can still have an above average, low cost bullpen without him. The Orioles need to throw some money at the starting rotation IF they plan on contending next year. And, no, my plan does not include resigning Chen.

Who would be your principal targets for the rotation?

I don't know why they can't spend money on both. Petey is 86 years old. What the hell is he pinching pennies for? Pull an Ilitch and go all out to win a World Series before it's too late.

You act like the money goes with Peter when Peter goes.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I'm sure no one would have an issue with that. But if he was going to do that you'd think it would have long since happened. It seems clear that his priority is leaving a profitable, sustainable organization for his sons and the other minority owners.

Would you attempt to resign any of the pending FAs? Or would you let them all walk?

Archived