Should Dan sign Darren O'Day to a 2 or 3 year deal?

Diehard_O's_Fan

I wouldn't resign O'Day. With Britton's salary bump coming, I wouldn't want that much money tied into two bullpen arms. We don't seem to have a problem finding cheap, low cost bullpen arms that give us great value. Our problem seems to be when we get caught up paying for bullpen arms (Gregg, Webb, Hunter, Matusz, JJ, etc.). We are going to have a lot of holes next year, and that 7 mil would go a lot further at another position.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't resign O'Day. With Britton's salary bump coming' date=' I wouldn't want that much money tied into two bullpen arms. We don't seem to have a problem finding cheap, low cost bullpen arms that give us great value. Our problem seems to be when we get caught up paying for bullpen arms (Gregg, Webb, Hunter, Matusz, JJ, etc.). We are going to have a lot of holes next year, and that 7 mil would go a lot further at another position.[/quote']

I really think the Orioles should be huge sellers in this trade market. I would consider dealing just about anyone outside of Jones, Machado, and Gausman for quality prospects.

I really think the Orioles should be huge sellers in this trade market. I would consider dealing just about anyone outside of Jones, Machado, and Gausman for quality prospects.

I'm kind of thinking this way as well. If I could move Chen and Wieters right now for guys that are highly rated prospects, I'd have to consider it. Same with O'Day. I don't think this team is a World Series contender.

I'm kind of thinking this way as well. If I could move Chen and Wieters right now for guys that are highly rated prospects, I'd have to consider it. Same with O'Day. I don't think this team is a World Series contender.

Chemistry just doesn't see to be there for some reason and I am not sold that the Orioles can develop pitchers. I fully believe that if a bunch of other teams had Bundy, Gausman or Harvey they would have had a pitcher pitching at a high level right now. We saw what happened with Arrieta and ERod. If I was a young pitcher I would not want Baltimore to draft me.

Chemistry just doesn't see to be there for some reason and I am not sold that the Orioles can develop pitchers. I fully believe that if a bunch of other teams had Bundy, Gausman or Harvey they would have had a pitcher pitching at a high level right now. We saw what happened with Arrieta and ERod. If I was a young pitcher I would not want Baltimore to draft me.

Please tell me what the Orioles possibly did that caused the Bundy and Harvey injuries.

Please tell me what the Orioles possibly did that caused the Bundy and Harvey injuries.

I don't blame the Orioles for Bundy's injury woes. I blame his school coach for abusing the hell out of his arm. He once had Bundy throwing 181 pitches over both sides of a doubleheader. That's borderline criminal negligence. His unconventional workouts which probably places a ton of stress in his arm has only compounded the problems even more. As for Hunter Harvey, his father was a top major reliever who had to retire early due to chronic elbow issues. It might just be a genetic thing with him.

Did not let them throw the cutter. This keeps the arm limber and loose.The cutter stops the wear and tear on the arm. Dr. Hackenabush did a study and proved this along with his colleague, Rufus T. Firefly.

Yes, the Orioles banning the cutter is why Bundy can't stay healthy. It has nothing to do with the fact that Bundy's high school coach chronically abused his arm throughout his high school career once having him throw 293 pitches over a four day period. Why do the MLB organizations always get blamed while the high school and college coaches who abuse these kids arms get a pass?

Yes, the Orioles banning the cutter is why Bundy can't stay healthy. It has nothing to do with the fact that Bundy's high school coach chronically abused his arm throughout his high school career once having him throw 293 pitches over a four day period. Why do the MLB organizations always get blamed while the high school and college coaches who abuse these kids arms get a pass?

:slytf:

You do know I was joking?

Does anyone see a scenario where we do not have huge holes at key spots next season?

Of course. Why do you assume huge holes? Duquette will probably have to replace four reasonably productive players. Wieters can be replaced with a good backup catcher for Joseph. Chen will need to be replaced. Davis is an average MLB first baseman. O'Day is a good reliever, but every team has 2-3 good relievers. The core of Schoop, Machado, Jones, Britton, etc will be in place. A bunch of salary is coming off the books. I suppose they could just stand pat and leave some holes, but I don't know why that would be your baseline assumption.

Archived