Should Dan sign Darren O'Day to a 2 or 3 year deal?

Diehard_O's_Fan

Should Dan sign Darren to a two or three year deal before the season ends? The Orioles have put a lot of miles on Darren's arm. Should they take the risk? I assume they would make him take an extensive physical before signing him.

I would give him 3/24 in a heartbeat even though relievers are very dispensable. Darren O'Day is arguably the best setup man in the past 20 years. He's just been so consistent and so good and has played a major role in the Orioles success. He has a very non-taxing pitching style and I feel very confident he'll still be pitching at a very high level for years to come.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd probably go 3/$21M for him. I don't know if that gets it done, unless he really likes it here, but I'd do that far for him. I have him as the top free agent to resign. I would like to bring back Chen and bring in/back another bat or two, but I think there are several options that fit that will be on the market as well.

I would give him 3/24 in a heartbeat even though relievers are very dispensable. Darren O'Day is arguably the best setup man in the past 20 years. He's just been so consistent and so good and has played a major role in the Orioles success. He has a very non-taxing pitching style and I feel very confident he'll still be pitching at a very high level for years to come.

So 3/$24 million for O'day and 13/$350 million for Manny. Do I have that right? I think sometimes we need to go a little beyond the "Why not, it's not my money" philosophy and insert a bit of reality into our discussion.

So 3/$24 million for O'day and 13/$350 million for Manny. Do I have that right? I think sometimes we need to go a little beyond the "Why not, it's not my money" philosophy and insert a bit of reality into our discussion.

[video=youtube;lxvSYaCenq4]

Darren is going to be 33 years old at the end of the season. A three year deal is gonna be a reach. But risks bring rewards sometimes. Im sure they're thinking about taking a long look at Givens in the second half.

Age in a pitcher doesn't concern me. It's effectiveness. And O'Day seems to be getting better over time. His K rate is his highest ever, even his velocity is at or near peak for his career. I would like to keep O'Day, but it's all about the contract. I'd keep him at 3/18 in a second. But I have a feeling he'll get something more like Miller's deal, and I wouldn't do that.

I would give him 3/24 in a heartbeat even though relievers are very dispensable. Darren O'Day is arguably the best setup man in the past 20 years.

I just like to argue, but why would you pick O'Day? He's only been a full-time major leaguer in five seasons or so. I think someone like Steve Reed would have a better case. Reed was basically Darren O'Day for 14 years.

Should Dan sign Darren to a two or three year deal before the season ends? The Orioles have put a lot of miles on Darren's arm. Should they take the risk? I assume they would make him take an extensive physical before signing him.

Two year deal.

If Miller only got 4/36, O'Day wont get much more than 3/24.......if that.

O'Day certainly has more of a track record and better health than Miller. Although he's weird - a quasi-submariner who really throws sidearm and gets a lot more flyballs than grounders. That may scare off some teams.

O'Day certainly has more of a track record and better health than Miller. Although he's weird - a quasi-submariner who really throws sidearm and gets a lot more flyballs than grounders. That may scare off some teams.

Miller had a ridiculous K rate, and was getting a lot of hype. I'm guessing that contributed a lot to his contract.

Miller's platoon splits are much better.

Darren is going to be 33 years old at the end of the season. A three year deal is gonna be a reach. But risks bring rewards sometimes. Im sure they're thinking about taking a long look at Givens in the second half.

Roy, you really know how to stretch a point. O'Day will be 33 on October 22nd. That is probably during the League Championship Series.

A 3 year contract for O'Day will be for ages 33-35 with him becomes 36 deep into the playoffs.

Whatever it takes. Even though he is a set-up man/middle reliever, Darrren O'Day is NOT a replaceable machine part. He is a quality reliever, an All-Star. Re-sign him.

I would do 3/18 in a heart beat. 3/21 hesitantly. Any more than that I'm out. I love Darren and think he'll be good for the duration but more than 7 mill is just too much for the pen. Even Darren has been up and down some. Lefties kill him some years. We have young options and the whole host of found pieces that DD has up his sleeve *cough* Roe *cough*

Some teams threw "silly money" at FA relievers this past offseason. I could easily see some team offering 3/24 for O'Day this offseason. I just don't think the O's are gonna drop that kinda coin for a "set-up" man. O's will probably initially offer 2/12 with possibly a club option for a 3rd year.

Archived