Parra to the Orioles (Done Deal)

TonySoprano

Who Would You Trade For?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Trade For?

• Gerardo Parra - 2 month rental
    • Ben Revere
    • Someone Else (Please name them in the comments)
    • Nobody. Not much worth it on the market.

Stolen bases matter. Have a problem with Revere's slugging? Then you can take SecA into account because of those stolen bases.

And when the basic theory of your offense consists of hitting home runs, someone's has got to get on base to turn those solo HRs into 2-run HRs. The simple fact is Revere would get on base better than any hitter not named Machado.

But still not get on base well, not hit for any power whatsoever, and be a below average offensive player. Not to mention also have a noodle arm and be an unspectacular defender.

Ben Revere is not a good player. If we can get him for free, great. If he costs anything significant in any way, no thanks.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does he have the mental fortitude to get through being called up and down four times in a season? (I'm actually kinda serious)

To this point, Davies has had the most rational and steady development path of any pitcher in our system: a full year at each of Delmarva, Frederick, Bowie and Norfolk, with an AFL stint thrown in last Fall. Whatever bumps he might experience in the future hopping between Norfolk and Baltimore, nobody could ever say it disrupted his development. And from everything I've read the kid has a great head on his shoulders, so yes I think he has the mental fortitude for whatever comes.

I'll admit, even though I've never seen him pitch, I'm kind of emotionally attached to Davies because he has been in our system so long and has had success literally at every stage of the process. If he is traded, I'll be very sad to see him go. I do not think he has the upside that EdRod had, but he's a real good bet to have a successful major league career IMO.

There was talk yesterday one would be flipped for a pitcher.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Some talk about <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> trying to acquire both OFs and maybe flipping one in a deal for a pitcher. Probably a long-shot, but it's come up</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Out of curiosity, If there is a team out there willing to trade a pitcher that is presumably better than Davies, or whoever we are offering for one of these outfielders, why wouldn't that team just make the trade to get Revere or Parra now? Why would they wait for the Orioles to get the outfielder and then trade with the Orioles? How does this make sense?

But still not get on base well, not hit for any power whatsoever, and be a below average offensive player. Not to mention also have a noodle arm and be an unspectacular defender.

Ben Revere is not a good player. If we can get him for free, great. If he costs anything significant in any way, no thanks.

Revere was worth a little more than 2 wins in 2014. He'll end up this year with a WAR > 2. He's been worth at least $12 million/year for the the past 2 years. And his arbitration numbers for the next 2 seasons should remain extremely reasonable.

Not bad for "not a good player."

Revere was worth a little more than 2 wins in 2014. He'll end up this year with a WAR > 2. He's been worth at least $12 million/year for the the past 2 years. And his arbitration numbers for the next 2 seasons should remain extremely reasonable.

Not bad for "not a good player."

2 wins is a league average starter. So, yes, I stand by saying he's not good.

To this point, Davies has had the most rational and steady development path of any pitcher in our system: a full year at each of Delmarva, Frederick, Bowie and Norfolk, with an AFL stint thrown in last Fall. Whatever bumps he might experience in the future hopping between Norfolk and Baltimore, nobody could ever say it disrupted his development. And from everything I've read the kid has a great head on his shoulders, so yes I think he has the mental fortitude for whatever comes.

I'll admit, even though I've never seen him pitch, I'm kind of emotionally attached to Davies because he has been in our system so long and has had success literally at every stage of the process. If he is traded, I'll be very sad to see him go. I do not think he has the upside that EdRod had, but he's a real good bet to have a successful major league career IMO.

I agree completely and add that I feel the same way about Wright. Also if I felt that we were one piece away from a WS type he I would be open to it. I am not necessarily in the sell camp but I don't think this is the team to go all-in on.

Stolen bases matter. Have a problem with Revere's slugging? Then you can take SecA into account because of those stolen bases.

And when the basic theory of your offense consists of hitting home runs, someone's has got to get on base to turn those solo HRs into 2-run HRs. The simple fact is Revere would get on base better than any hitter not named Machado.

A turd doesn't become a steak by virtue of being the 2nd largest in the dung heap.

I define turd as Snider and Parmalee. Snider brings literally zero plus skills to the table (hit, run, field, power, arm - none of those things). Parm can defend 1B, that's it.

No argument there. At least the O's are about to trade for the 2015 version of Steve Pearce. Without all the weird-beard charm.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As I tweeted last night, Ben Revere to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> is still in play. O's have nothing alive on Yoenis Cespedes, Justin Upton or Marlon Byrd</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As I tweeted last night, Ben Revere to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> is still in play. O's have nothing alive on Yoenis Cespedes, Justin Upton or Marlon Byrd</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="

Someone get Juan Pierre on the line stat! We can still stop this.

2 wins is a league average starter. So, yes, I stand by saying he's not good.

Only 3 Orioles win finish the season with a >2 WAR: Machado, Jones and Davis, so if Revere is not good then the rest of the lineup is bloody terrible. If you don't think Revere will improve this team earning about the salary as Tommy Hunter with 2 more years of control, then I won't waste the effort anymore.

Only 3 Orioles win finish the season with a >2 WAR: Machado, Jones and Davis, so if Revere is not good then the rest of the lineup is bloody terrible. If you don't think Revere will improve this team earning about the salary as Tommy Hunter with 2 more years of control, then I won't waste the effort anymore.

He would improve the team, but not much. Like I said, if we are giving up basically nothing then I'm fine with it. If we are giving up anything with value, then no thanks.

And yes, I don't think the team is very good.

Archived