Where are Dan and Buck headed with RF/1B?

wildcard

I am worried that the O's will skimp out and go with guys like Parra and Jackson and hope that they each flourish. But that's doubtful. People need to remember that Parra is a career 99 OPS+ player. He's a complimentary guy. Not a primary guy.

In order to do this right, take next year as a chance to get younger. But you don't have to punt the entire season. Go young on the bullpen as there is talent in the minors. Go big on at least 1 FA for once.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed, Heyward is a pipe dream. I think whoever inks his exorbitant contract will make a mistake. When Heyward's (stellar) defense goes, his value goes with it, and fielding fades faster than hitting.

He's been at least a 2-3 win player offensively for 4 years straight now. And he's young.

At some point the O's need to spend on the right player instead of dumpster diving and hoping all is well. Duquette has been playing with house money from the fruits of Andy MacPhail's labours.

He's been at least a 2-3 win player offensively for 4 years straight now. And he's young.

At some point the O's need to spend on the right player instead of dumpster diving and hoping all is well. Duquette has been playing with house money from the fruits of Andy MacPhail's labours.

Sure, dump on Duquette. We were all ready to move on from MacPhail at the time.

The Orioles are not dumpster divers. Look at what they have invested right now:

$13.33 mil - Adam Jones

$12.25 mil - Ubaldo Jimenez

$12.00 mil - Chris Davis (arbitration)

$11.50 mil - JJ Hardy

$8.30 mil - Matt Wieters (arbitration)

That's decent coin being paid to former and/or current all stars. It's all about who you get for how much when you're mid-market. Me, I'd love to have Heyward for $15 mil but not for $25 mil, because that would impact depth.

Then they're in a lot of trouble going forward. Alvarez isn't the answer. Nor is anyone in the minors for the OF.

We are seeing how much trouble the O's offense is in due to having to sign Parra. And then the other OF spot is a black hole. With Davis, Wieters gone and nearly every AAAA/fringey player picked up by Duquette failing (Parmelee, Snider, Lough, De Aza, Young, etc.)...what are the O's going to do with nearly $50m+ off the books next season?

At some point, you have to open the pocketbook for the RIGHT player. And I don't know about you, but:

Heyward will be 26 at the start of next season. He's put up 4-6 WAR per season. He's solid offensively. He's solid defensively. He's young. The O's HAVE to make a play for him. Look at this cluster of a list of FA OF'ers next season:

Left Fielders

Jeff Baker (35)

Willie Bloomquist (38)

Yoenis Cespedes (30)

Endy Chavez (38)

Tyler Colvin (30)

Rajai Davis (35)

Alejandro De Aza (32)

David DeJesus (36) ? $5MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Chris Denorfia (35)

Jonny Gomes (35) ? $3MM vesting/club option

Alex Gordon (32) ? $12.5MM player option

Matt Joyce (31)

Don Kelly (36)

Nate McLouth (34) ? $6.5MM club option with a $750K buyout

David Murphy (34) ? $7MM club option with a $500K buyout

Gerardo Parra (29)

Steve Pearce (33)

Sean Rodriguez (31)

Ryan Sweeney (31) ? $2.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Justin Upton (28)

Chris B. Young (32)

Delmon Young (30)

Center Fielders

Endy Chavez (38)

Rajai Davis (35)

Alejandro De Aza (32)

Dexter Fowler (30)

Tony Gwynn Jr. (33)

Austin Jackson (29)

Gerardo Parra (29)

Colby Rasmus (29)

Cody Ross (35) ? $9.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Skip Schumaker (36) ? $2.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Grady Sizemore (33)

Denard Span (32)

Drew Stubbs (31)

Shane Victorino (35)

Right Fielders

Nori Aoki (34) ? $5.5MM club option with a $700K buyout

Jeff Baker (35)

Jose Bautista (35) ? $14MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Marlon Byrd (38) ? $8MM vesting option

Endy Chavez (38)

Chris Denorfia (35)

Jason Heyward (26)

Torii Hunter (40)

Matt Joyce (31)

David Murphy (34) ? $7MM club option with a $500K buyout

Gerardo Parra (29)

Carlos Quentin (33)

Ryan Raburn (35) ? $3MM club option with a $100K buyout

Cody Ross (35) ? $9.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Ichiro Suzuki (42)

Justin Upton (28)

Will Venable (33)

Shane Victorino (35)

Chris B. Young (32)

Heyward will get an 8 to 10 year contract. The only player the O's are going to do that for in Manny Machado. He's an Oriole. And the O's will try to keep him. I think one contract of that length will be more than enough for the O's.

I don't think Manny will be an Oriole when he gets to free agency.

I doubt Manny becomes a free agent. I think he is signed to a long term contract before he is eligible. He will be arbitration eligible this fall. I think the talks about a long term contract will begin this off season. He has proven he is an exceptional talent. The O's will want him as a core player for a long time.

I doubt Manny becomes a free agent. I think he is signed to a long term contract before he is eligible. He will be arbitration eligible this fall. I think the talks about a long term contract will begin this off season. He has proven he is an exceptional talent. The O's will want him as a core player for a long time.
He may not want to be an O long term.

He may not want to be an O long term.

And then again maybe he does. He may want to sign a contract that secures his future three years before he can become a free agent. He did have two knee operations. He has experienced how fast it can all be taken away from him. If a good offer is made, he just may take it.

And then again maybe he does. He may want to sign a contract that secures his future three years before he can become a free agent. He did have two knee operations. He has experienced how fast it can all be taken away from him. If a good offer is made, he just may take it.
I think he will want a 5 year deal or a long term deal with an option out after 4 or 5 years. That way he can have both security through his arb years and a chance to test the market while still in his prime. Also doesn't risk being stuck in a losing organization for his career.

I think he will want a 5 year deal or a long term deal with an option out after 4 or 5 years. That way he can have both security through his arb years and a chance to test the market while still in his prime. Also doesn't risk being stuck in a losing organization for his career.

if the O's can get 2 of his free agent years they should do it. They can try to resign him in 3 or 4 years.

I will repeat this - all he has known since becoming an Oriole is winning - two years in the playoffs out of three and a division title. He does not associate the Orioles with losing unlike the legions of fans that have lived through it.

I will repeat this - all he has known since becoming an Oriole is winning - two years in the playoffs out of three and a division title. He does not associate the Orioles with losing unlike the legions of fans that have lived through it.

But he can see the writing on the wall.

Archived