Lough DFA (Outrighted to Norfolk)

TonySoprano

It didn't look like Duquette had a plan. Let's move on from Lough. A fine defender, that's it. He can't hit nor steal bases.

I think he'd have been somewhat better with hitting if he had regular PT. The fact that most of our extra-piece outfielders rarely played more than two games in a row didn't do any of them any favors.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lough Saga is not over.

1) The last time he was DFA'd the O's traded Danny Valencia for him. If Lough is as good as some think some team should trade for him.

2) If he is not traded he will be put on waivers. If he is not claimed then he has to go Norfolk.

3) If he is as good as some think he should lead the Tides to the win the AAA playoffs. Lough should be the starting CFer for the Tides.

4) If he does that well at AAA maybe some team will want him. Maybe even the O's.

5) Oh, bye the way. If Lough is doing well at AAA and an OFer is injured for the O's they could call him up.

Let me be clear about what I'm saying. I was against the trade because I thought he'd be more like the .737 OPS career hitter he was rather than the .886 OPS hitter he'd been in 2015. But now he has a .564 OPS for us and that's way below his capabilities. (And I expect him to improve that over the next 49 games).

The second point is that if you look at all the projections for De Aza, Snider, Young , Lough and Pearce, all five of them have underperformed by substantial margins. I did not expect them to replace the production of Cruz and Markakis, but there was no reason to expect all of them to be this pathetic. The odds against them all doing that badly were very low. It's not surprising that any one of them failed to meet projections, but it's very surprising that all of them did, by a lot.

I agree with all this. I said the second point almost verbatim earlier in the thread.

I've hated many of DD's trades, but I thought his plan going into this year was a good one. One potential upshot of this crappy season is maybe DD will be less desirable and he'll stick around. Obviously this offseason is enormous for the Orioles and I trust DD to handle the transition much more than Minaya or whatever other nut they would replace him with.

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles announce David Lough has been outrighted to Triple-A Norfolk. So he cleared waivers and remains in org. Could be back in Sept</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">August 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles announce David Lough has been outrighted to Triple-A Norfolk. So he cleared waivers and remains in org. Could be back in Sept</p>? Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="
">August 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks Tony.

How many threads were there saying he would never clear? Glad to keep him in the organization though...will be be here next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived