Buck to try to give his starters some rest

wildcard

The off day on Thursday will push everyone back at day. But it sounds like McFarland will pitch on Saturday.

Buck said before the game that Gausman might not pitch on Wednesday. After the game he said Gausman would pitch on Wednesday. That is because he had to use McFarland in last nights game. Now McFarland will start Saturday.

Additionally Mike Wright could start as early as Sunday but that is not for sure. Wright will start for the O's soon. Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. Buck will not want to give him more rest than that.

So with McFarland and Wright starting in the next round of the rotation all four starters will get a few days rest. Tillman, Chen, Gausman and Jimenez.

Gonzalez is out for at least two weeks with inflammation in his shoulder and elbow. No surgery required according to the MRI findings per Buck.

Buck said Wilson pitched a sim game and he is behind Wright in his recovery. Wilson probably gets a rehab start or two at Norfolk and then will be available to the O's as a starter or reliever.

Having Wright and Wilson getting a few starts is something the O's would have done in August had they been healthy. It would have given the rotation some much needed rest. The injuries to those two guys really hurt that O's. The starters are mostly running of fumes which is why they keep blowing up.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realistically the rest of this season is about getting ready for 2016. Can Alvarez and Urrutia play? Can Wright or Wilson or McFarland be penciled into the rotation? Can Parades find a position (hint: no)? Can Givens and Garcia stick in the bullpen? Can Manny play short? Can anyone besides Jones play center?

Lots of questions.

Realistically the rest of this season is about getting ready for 2016. Can Alvarez and Urrutia play? Can Wright or Wilson or McFarland be penciled into the rotation? Can Parades find a position (hint: no)? Can Givens and Garcia stick in the bullpen? Can Manny play short? Can anyone besides Jones play center?

Lots of questions.

Givens isn't a question.

Lots of questions.

I would think Garcia goes to AA or AAA to be stretched out as a starter next year. We have enough bullpen only arms for next year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I would think Garcia goes to AA or AAA to be stretched out as a starter next year. We have enough bullpen only arms for next year.

Exactly. They we're able to keep him all year, so next year could be a great development opportunity for him. I believe he was a starter before...

I tried to float that earlier this season and was shot down quickly. I think their plan was always to give him the chance to make it as a starter.

So now they are blaming the meltdown on the players being tired. Sure, it's a long season, but isn't it long for all the teams equally? If the players were being overused then that's wrong. Moves should have been made so that wouldn't happen. Citing injuries as an excuse does not fly.

Archived