Who are O's Fans rooting for in World Series

sfosfan

Who I will root for in the World Series:  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who I will root for in the World Series:

• Mets
    • Royals
    • I don't care and I'm not watching.

I know I'm in the minority but I was not really bothered by any of the Royals' behavior last year. Except for the winning part.

I don't hate KC, and as a rule I root against all New York teams unless I have a specific reason not to. Honestly, if we had lost to Detroit last year and never faced KC I would probably be a big proponent of the Royals. They have exciting players and they're a good story... much like I enjoyed watching the Rays in the playoffs back when they were regular contenders.

As it is I'm lukewarm towards the Royals but I much prefer them to the Mets.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if the Royals played another team but the Orioles last year in the playoffs, more people would be for the Royals.

I think that if the Royals hadn't acted like fools while beating the Orioles last year in the playoffs, more people would be for the Royals.

I don't hold a grudge about being beat but I'm too old school to be OK with all the chest pounding and shirt popping that went on.

That being said, beating the Blue Jays cleared the ledger for them in my book.

I think that if the Royals hadn't acted like fools while beating the Orioles last year in the playoffs, more people would be for the Royals.

I don't hold a grudge about being beat but I'm too old school to be OK with all the chest pounding and shirt popping that went on.

I'm starting to come around to this POV myself. And 1969 was almost yesterday after all...

I'm starting to come around to this POV myself. And 1969 was almost yesterday after all...

This, that and the other. The other being that Zobrist wasn't on the team last year and I like Zobrist. Also, I don't think you hold the entire team accountable for the actions of a few fools, but freaking Ventura is making hard to root for them again with his idiotic posturing on the mound.

Years ago when they were good and played the Yankees in playoffs I desperately co-opted them because, well, Yankees. Enough said. This also encompasses my general rule about rooting for teams in the post season when the Orioles aren't involved. It's been since 1985 that the Royals won their last WS title. The Mets? 1986. The Mets were there more recently so I pull for the team in the city with the longest drought. And finally, George Brett. I loved Brett. I tried to copy his stance and just enjoyed watching him play. I like that he's still involved with the team.

Maybe he can order a code red on Ventura. And Dyson(is he still around?).

Alright, that was more than just one other.

o

The Mets have a good cheer, similar to the Orioles, withe the same number of syllables/the same beat.

"Let's go, O's."

"Let's go, Mets."

As opposed to that annoying cheer of teams like that of the Yankees and the Red Sox, who have the "Let's go, Yankees. Clap, clap ... clap clap clap" thing.

Obviously, I don't root for teams based solely on this, but it helps that the team that I am rooting for doesn't have that annoying (to me) chant.

I normally am hesitant to root for any New York team, but Jacob DeGrom pitched for my alma mater, so I've been rooting for the Mets since the beginning of the playoffs.

Plus postseason losses from 2014 still sting more than postseason losses from 1969, before I was even born. If I was alive back then, perhaps I might feel differently.

My theory about New York, Mets fans and Yankee fans is that Mets fans live in New York, a large city on the East Coast of the US. Meanwhile, Yankee fans live in New York, the center of anything and everything important in the universe, so screw your little Podunk town. There's a certain amount of humility and self-deprecation that Mets fans have that Yankee fans sorely lack.

I'm actually looking forward to the World Series, namely because football season is effectively over for me. Cough cough 1-6 cough cough. After the last pitch, it's going to be a looooooong time until April. I'm not looking forward to it. (And God help me if we have to watch another Patriots Super Bowl during that time span.)

Archived