76 members have voted

1. 1. Who I will root for in the World Series:

• Mets
    • Royals
    • I don't care and I'm not watching.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got to admit, I've come around on KC. Obviously hated them last year, and that hate lingered well into this season too, but I'm over it now. I respect the hell out of their relentlessness at the plate. They refuse to strike out and just keep coming at you. They're a really, really good team and a lot of fun to watch. Perhaps them beating the Jays softened me up a bit.

I thought for sure I'd be rooting for the Mets, but it's just not the case. Eff NY sports. Go Royals.

I've got to admit, I've come around on KC. Obviously hated them last year, and that hate lingered well into this season too, but I'm over it now. I respect the hell out of their relentlessness at the plate. They refuse to strike out and just keep coming at you. They're a really, really good team and a lot of fun to watch. Perhaps them beating the Jays softened me up a bit.

I thought for sure I'd be rooting for the Mets, but it's just not the case. Eff NY sports. Go Royals.

I'm in the same boat. I hated KC so much because I thought we lost to a fluke team who didn't deserve to be there, but clearly I was wrong. Beating the Blue Jays helped, too.

I'm still rooting for the Mets, though.

Imagine if we'd had kept Cruz and Markakis and then dealt for a TOR starter come deadline time. The Royals are winning in our window. Instead we are a wee little market team that should be happy we re signed Adam Jones. So I'm rooting for the Mets.

Yeah, just imagine if the O's spent 100 million dollars this offseason on deals that were almost sure to be poor investments at the time, then added an ace and even more money on top of that at the deadline.

Glossing over the fact that their payroll was actually higher than the Royals this year, and was in the top half of the league already without doing any of that.

You know, sort of like a mid market club.

Yeah, just imagine if the O's spent 100 million dollars this offseason on deals that were almost sure to be poor investments at the time, then added an ace and even more money on top of that at the deadline.

A smart GM would have just non-tendered or traded or otherwise avoided De Aza, Snider, Matusz, Hunter, Norris, Young, Lough, and Parra, and spent the savings on really good players, or cheap players who'd have better 2015s. Or Nick Markakis.

o

In the World Series thread in the MLB section, weams posted what I believe to be an excellent article in regard to Daniel Murphy's error in the 8th inning of last night's game.

This is the article, and my response to it:

Good article, Mike.

In fact, even though I'm rooting for the Mets, I think that the fact that Murphy, who is having an overall monster postseason so to date, made such a major error at such a bad time in the same postseason in which he was previously knocking the cover off of the ball is a good thing. If nothing else, perhaps it will bolster the argument that players should not necessarily be judged for a single gaffe, even if said gaffe comes at the worst time.

The worst part of the Bill Buckner error is that two of his teammates (Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley) were easily more responsible for blowing that game than was Buckner himself, yet Buckner has gotten (and continues to get) the lion's share of the blame for the Red Sox losing that game. There are many people that still believe that the Red Sox were winning, and that 2 runs scored on the play in which he let the ball go through his legs. In fact, THE METS HAD ALREADY TIED THE GAME, and even if Buckner had made the play and beaten Mookie Wilson to the bag, the game would have continued into what would have been the 11th inning with the Mets having all the momentum.

o

In the World Series thread in the MLB section, weams posted what I believe to be an excellent article in regard to Daniel Murphy's error in the 8th inning of last night's game.

This is the article, and my response to it:

Good article, Mike.

In fact, even though I'm rooting for the Mets, I think that the fact that Murphy, who is having an overall monster postseason so to date, made such a major error at such a bad time in the same postseason in which he was previously knocking the cover off of the ball is a good thing. If nothing else, perhaps it will bolster the argument that players should not necessarily be judged for a single gaffe, even if said gaffe comes at the worst time.

The worst part of the Bill Buckner error is that two of his teammates (Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley) were easily more responsible for blowing that game than was Buckner himself, yet Buckner has gotten (and continues to get) the lion's share of the blame for the Red Sox losing that game. There are many people that still believe that the Red Sox were winning, and that 2 runs scored on the play in which he let the ball go through his legs. In fact, THE METS HAD ALREADY TIED THE GAME, and even if Buckner had made the play and beaten Mookie Wilson to the bag, the game would have continued into what would have been the 11th inning with the Mets having all the momentum.

The issue that people don't seem to remember is that all season loan, Buckner had been taken out for a defensive replacement when the Red Sox were winning late, and John McNamara inexplicably left Buckner in in this one game. Seems like the World Series is a time, if anything, to be more inclined to make defensive substitutions when ahead late than the regular season, not less inclined. JMO.

The issue that people don't seem to remember is that all season loan, Buckner had been taken out for a defensive replacement when the Red Sox were winning late, and John McNamara inexplicably left Buckner in in this one game. Seems like the World Series is a time, if anything, to be more inclined to make defensive substitutions when ahead late than the regular season, not less inclined. JMO.

Typo - long.

o

Good article, Mike.

I believe that that is still focusing on a much more minor issue than the overall crux of the matter

As I stated, at that point the Red Sox had already blown a seemingly insurmountable lead (2 outs, a 2-run lead, and nobody on base) in such a horrific fashion ...... 3 consecutive singles ceded by their best reliever (Calvin Schiraldi), and then the wild pitch by their 2nd-best reliever (Bob Stanley) which GAVE the Mets the tying run, subsequently taking all of the pressure off of them. Even if Stapleton were on the field and had made that play, it would not have saved the game for the Red Sox. The game was already tied, and the Red Sox, at that point, had emotionally just had their lungs ripped out.

Would the Red Sox still have had a chance to win that game had Stapleton been on the field, made the play, and the game went to the 11th inning ??? Technically, yes. But if I were a bookie laying odds on that game at that precise moment (right after Stapleton made the play and extended the game into an 11th inning), I would be laying the odds heavily in favor of the Mets.

Buckner's error (and/or McNamara's failure to have inserted Dave Stapleton as a defensive replacement for Buckner) was just the final nail in the coffin of what was a disastrous collapse by the Red Sox as a team overall.

I believe that that is still focusing on a much more minor issue than the overall crux of the matter

As I stated, at that point the Red Sox had already blown a seemingly insurmountable lead (2 outs, a 2-run lead, and nobody on base) in such a horrific fashion ...... 3 consecutive singles ceded by their best reliever (Calvin Schiraldi), and then the wild pitch by their 2nd-best reliever (Bob Stanley) which GAVE the Mets the tying run, subsequently taking all of the pressure off of them. Even if Stapleton were on the field and had made that play, it would not have saved the game for the Red Sox. The game was already tied, and the Red Sox, at that point, had emotionally just had their lungs ripped out.

Would the Red Sox still have had a chance to win that game had Stapleton been on the field, made the play, and the game went to the 11th inning ??? Technically, yes. But if I were a bookie laying odds on that game at that precise moment (right after Stapleton made the play and extended the game into an 11th inning), I would be laying the odds heavily in favor of the Mets.

Buckner's error (and/or McNamara's failure to have inserted Dave Stapleton as a defensive replacement for Buckner) was just the final nail in the coffin of what was a disastrous collapse by the Red Sox as a team overall.

The decision not to replace Buckner with Stapleton occurred with the Red Sox ahead - not tied.

The decision not to replace Buckner with Stapleton occurred with the Red Sox ahead - not tied.

Right ...... but it had nothing to do with the Red Sox blowing the lead, and the game.

The 2 fly ball outs, which was followed by the 3 consecutive singles by the Mets and the wild pitch by Stanley had nothing to do with Buckner and/or Stapleton.

Your arguing of McNamara's failure to have replaced Buckner with Stapleton misses the larger point, which is that the Red Sox had already blown the game in what is easily the biggest collapse in World Series history in the final inning of an elimination game.

Buckner's error (and McNamara's failure to have inserted Stapleton into the game as a defensive replacement for him) contributed to the loss, but it was nowhere near the biggest reason for them having blown that game, which is the real tragedy of the perception of what actually happened.

Do you really not see this?

Right ...... but it had nothing to do with the Red Sox blowing the lead, and the game.

The 2 fly ball outs, which was followed by the 3 consecutive singles by the Mets and the wild pitch by Stanley had nothing to do with Buckner and/or Stapleton.

Your arguing of McNamara's failure to have replaced Buckner with Stapleton misses the larger point, which is that the Red Sox had already blown the game in what is easily the biggest collapse in World Series history in the final inning of an elimination game.

Buckner's error (and McNamara's failure to have inserted Stapleton into the game as a defensive replacement for him) contributed to the loss, but it was nowhere near the biggest reason for them having blown that game, which is the real tragedy of the perception of what actually happened.

Do you really not see this?

I have fully understood everything you said. That in no way changes the fact that McNamear deviated from what he done all season and for some reason left Buckner in to play first base when they had the late lead. I am stating fact. The Buckner play lost the game. Whether Stapleton would have made the play to force the continuation of the game is unknown, but the odds are that he would have.

Archived