1. 1. Who I will root for in the World Series:

• Mets
    • Royals
    • I don't care and I'm not watching.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I think some fans are just inherently negative.   We follow the team so closely that we know the weaknesses of every player.   And every player, no matter how good, has weaknesses. Because a good starter is capable of being dominant in a given start, anything less can be a disappointment.   As an exercise, find a game where an Oriole starter pitched a good but not spectacular game, say 5.2 innings, 2 runs allowed, 5 hits, 2 walks.   Nothing wrong with that.   Not a dominant outing but in 2024 it's considered pretty good.  Now go to the game thread for that game and read how many comments there are about that pitcher, and count how many are positive and how many are negative.   I think you'll find the negatives VASTLY outweigh the positives.  I mean probably a ratio of about 10 to 1.  There will be comments about how he "doesn't have it tonight" after he walks a batter or falls behind a few batters in a row.    There will be comments about how he is about to implode.   If he throws a fat pitch down the middle that is hit for extra bases that will be pounced on.   If it is Irvin or Kremer there will be comments about how we need to get someone better and we don't want this guy pitching in a playoff game.   If it is Means or Bradish there will be questioning their health.   If it is G-Rod there will be comments that he has to be better than this.   Meanwhile, there will be a very small number of positiive comments.   Yet the end results (5.2/2 runs) is probably better than average.   That's just human nature.   Focusing on the negative is more interesting to many than focusing on the positive.
    • Great find Tony. BB% has dropped from 5.2 last year to 0.7. That could be a game changer if it sticks. 
    • Some of the root cause is both Ryan's flirting with All-Star form, but I agree entering the 2nd quarter of the year, something I now think will happen that I wouldn't have guessed is that one of Coby Mayo or Jackson Holliday will end up with 129 or fewer at-bats this season. Trade deadline will be exciting not just for Elias hopefully continuing the Corbin Burnes pattern of buying quality, but because it isn't inconceivable something like the Theo Epstein sending Nomar Garciaparra away move is in the range of outcomes. It is Adley year 3 of 6, and the decision might be to give 2/9ths of the tournament plate appearances to not Mayo/Holliday.
    • Well, I definitely was spoiled for a couple decades in my youth (70’s-80’s). The O’s were always as good or better. It was glorious never being afraid of being in the AL East. Then a new reality set in. That 14-year losing streak was way more humble pie than I anticipated. Now I don’t feel spoiled at all. I’m grateful I’ve lived long enough to see my Birds feared again. In essence, I agree with your original post.  Concern by some fans is always good, but it seems early to be throwing bricks at the TV (or computer screen) based on how well the O’s are doing overall.
    • Here we are with the Mayo in RF chatter again when the O's haven't given any indication that they want to play him in the OF. Dude has no games in the OF for this organization.
    • What is the purpose of this message board if people don't talk about the team? Either negative or positive? When I see a post from MLB on Facebook regarding the O's, or an O's game most of the fans are being just that, fans. I mean even on an O's post you still get Astros and Rangers fans downing the team. Last week when they lost a game to Arizona and there was a post, most folks were fairly complimentary to Arizona and happy with 2/3. I guess every fan base has their extremes, but I think most of us are a far cry away from expecting anything to be given.
    • What I meant to say is I don’t consider making the playoffs a lock.  SG started a thread yesterday like it’s a sure thing.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now