More Blue Jays Drama

Aristotelian

Ah, just a cool way to stir the DD hate up again. ;)

I'm not trying to stir anything up. I think we have made too big a deal about some things round here, but our GM trying to jump ship 11 months ago and following it up with what appeared to be a very mediocre performance both in the offseason and during the year followed by rumblings of discord between the manager and front office...well, it's almost difficult to make to big a deal out of that, no? Is anyone here convinced that DD is committed to this organization and being here long term? If so, sell me, because I would love to feel that way.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shapiro had more or less run baseball operations in Cleveland since 2001, so when he came to Toronto, you knew it wouldn?t be just to handle the financial side of things.

This is interesting because this is exactly what I thought they were going to do with DD. Hire him as "President" and use him in more of GMish manner. That's how you steal someone else's GM (DD) to make them your own under the guise of giving him a promotion. Sneaky stuff man.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ICYMI - InstaGraphs: Job Posting: Toronto Blue Jays Baseball Operations Analytics Intern <a href="https://t.co/eVCKWbt01G">https://t.co/eVCKWbt01G</a></p>— FanGraphs Baseball (@fangraphs) <a href="

">October 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And oh. They will hire a GM.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2015/10/29/blue-jays-ownership-responsible-for-this-ridiculous-ending-arthur.html

Never underestimate this city’s ability to turn sports into farce. Anthopoulos had authored a fabulous season, something unbelievable. He loved it here. His kids were born here. It’s his dream job, at eye-popping money. He wanted to stay.

But he decided he couldn’t, and now he’s gone. This was the end of a very long, blind, careless fuse lit last year by Rogers Communications, whose stewardship of this franchise finally blundered into success this season. It was, as endings go, ridiculous.

The consensus in baseball was that Shapiro had been pushed upstairs from the GM job in Cleveland after 65- and 69-win seasons. Running the business operations of the Cleveland Indians — 29th, 29th, 28th, 29th, 24th and 30th in attendance the past six years — doesn’t seem like the job of a lifetime. Shortly after he was hired by the Jays, word began filtering through baseball that Shapiro was telling people he couldn’t wait to get back into player personnel. You can be sure Rogers gave him that power.

And that’s where it broke. In a face-to-face meeting with the senior members of the Jays’ front office, Shapiro said he strongly disagreed with some of the deadline choices that sent prospects out. The initial contract offer to Anthopoulos, according to an official who was briefed on the talks, was a two-year deal, with the second year an option.

And Rogers, in the end, either didn’t know, or didn’t care. Don’t believe the venal spin that Anthopoulos rejected the contract unless you include the fact that he rejected a job as an assistant GM...Consider this: In November, Ed Rogers tried to replace Paul Beeston without Beeston’s knowledge by calling up Beeston’s best friend in baseball, Jerry Reinsdorf. In January, ownership asked Yankees president Randy Levine to help them name a successor back in January...the graveyards, as they say, are full of indispensable men.

Toronto is such a whack organization. They lit their dynamite in the middle.

Drafted/signed and developed a good farm system and traded/signed great players, including one of the best lineups of the past number of years. Made the ALCS.

Some really poor trades. It took how long to get to the playoffs?

He did draft and develop a good farm. Then traded them all away. In a lot of bad deals.

I agree the dickey deal was bad. But donaldson, Tulowitzki, Price, Lowe all came from using the farm to bolster the big league roster. And stroman, osuna, Sanchez, pillar, goind were farm guys he didn't trade away. A lot of blue jays fans would take that type of action after 22 years of wilderness.

Archived