What if the QO is rejected and one of the last 10 teams sign said player?

foxfield

Scenario: Wieters is a huge fan of Big Trouble in Little China. He's involved in an off-season production of a stage play based on the movie with Wieters in the Kurt Russell role. During one of the fight scenes he is horribly injured. This takes place between the O's offering the QO and Boras rejecting. Due to the injury they take the QO just to grab the cash. Plausible?

The Jack Burton character doesn't do much actual fighting. Maybe the bottle cutting scene?

Scenario: Wieters is a huge fan of Big Trouble in Little China. He's involved in an off-season production of a stage play based on the movie with Wieters in the Kurt Russell role. During one of the fight scenes he is horribly injured. This takes place between the O's offering the QO and Boras rejecting. Due to the injury they take the QO just to grab the cash. Plausible?

I've always thought of Matt as a Snake Plissken fan

He could easily be injured attempting to catch a real knife if they are trying to do it extremely authentically.

Which raises this question. Players who have declared free agency are no longer on their former teams. If a player gets hurt between yesterday morning and this Friday evening (the deadline for offering a QO), or, if they learn that they are in need of medical treatment, are they required to inform their old team before the team offers a QO? That seems like it should be a given, but I'm guessing it may not be.

Which raises this question. Players who have declared free agency are no longer on their former teams. If a player gets hurt between yesterday morning and this Friday evening (the deadline for offering a QO), or, if they learn that they are in need of medical treatment, are they required to inform their old team before the team offers a QO? That seems like it should be a given, but I'm guessing it may not be.

Can free agents collect unemployment? They're technically unemployed, right?

Can free agents collect unemployment? They're technically unemployed, right?

I'm sure they are, but I don't know what that has to do with anything. There could be a requirement in the CBA that players notify former teams if something pops up before the QO is accepted. I'd hate to offer a player a QO and then, after he accepts, find out he tore his Achilles falling down the stairs two days earlier.

I think primary health insurance is provided by the union. That's how it works for the actors guild and the writers guild in entertainment (which I would imagine has a lot of similarities to the MLBPA.)

Normally the player would be off the hook for out of pocket expenses, because injuries during work time are covered as workers comp. but since it's offseason I think the player would have to pay, unless he was injured during a team function or it was an old injury.

Not plausible, Wieters would make a terrible actor.

Not plausible, Wieters would make a terrible actor.

Cap Anson was apparently a very poor actor but he still spent many offseasons doing vaudeville, and probably relying on his fame more than his ability, to make some extra cash. I think he actually had a business card or stationary that read "a better ballplayer than any actor, a better actor than any ballplayer."

Cap Anson was apparently a very poor actor but he still spent many offseasons doing vaudeville, and probably relying on his fame more than his ability, to make some extra cash. I think he actually had a business card or stationary that read "a better ballplayer than any actor, a better actor than any ballplayer."

I have a card that says, "Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ever was"! :slytf:

Archived