Chen, Davis, Wieters All Get Qualifying Offers

wildcard

No, it's about risk vs. reward in the context of now vs. later. Big difference. 2016 also matters.

I suspect you have no better idea of what DD actually believes than I or anybody else on the OH does, which is roughly zero. However I think it is safe to assume that PA doesn't pay Duquette to fish, he pays him to run the baseball side of a billion-dollar baseball company. Assessing risk is necessarily a daily part of Duquette's job, do you honestly think he approaches that aspect of it in the same way he would a fishing expedition?

One scenario where it is reasonable to offer Wieter's a 2016 QO is that the Orioles' front office has gained enough insight over the normal course of business to conclude that the likelihood of Wieters accepting the offer is very small. That would require considerably more insight than any of us in the public would have. I suspect this is the case.

Another scenario where it would make sense is that there's a genuine desire on the Orioles' part to resign Matt. If he accepted the QO it might cost a little more than would be ideal, but everybody wins enough to be happy. Personally I don't see Wieters being the best use of the money, but who know? He's a favorite of Buck's, etc. etc....

I suspect that Buck weighed in hard on offering the Qualifying.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, it's about risk vs. reward in the context of now vs. later. Big difference. 2016 also matters.

I suspect you have no better idea of what DD actually believes than I or anybody else on the OH does, which is roughly zero. However I think it is safe to assume that PA doesn't pay Duquette to fish, he pays him to run the baseball side of a billion-dollar baseball company. Assessing risk is necessarily a daily part of Duquette's job, do you honestly think he approaches that aspect of it in the same way he would a fishing expedition?

One scenario where it is reasonable to offer Wieter's a 2016 QO is that the Orioles' front office has gained enough insight over the normal course of business to conclude that the likelihood of Wieters accepting the offer is very small. That would require considerably more insight than any of us in the public would have. I suspect this is the case.

Another scenario where it would make sense is that there's a genuine desire on the Orioles' part to resign Matt. If he accepted the QO it might cost a little more than would be ideal, but everybody wins enough to be happy. Personally I don't see Wieters being the best use of the money, but who know? He's a favorite of Buck's, etc. etc....

"Gained enough insight over the normal course of business to conclude that the likelihood of Wieters accepting the offer is very small. That would require considerably more insight than any of us in the public would have." = DD noted that Scott Boras was Matt's agent.

And some of us came to this same conclusion even without the considerable "insight". Lucky guess... because I certainly have no better understanding of DD's process than you do. Fortunately, that does not preclude us from having an opinion that we can express on the OH.

People who don't go on fishing expeditions don't catch anything. And they often see fishing as just guessing and a waste of time and resources. Ted Williams would disagree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Gained enough insight over the normal course of business to conclude that the likelihood of Wieters accepting the offer is very small. That would require considerably more insight than any of us in the public would have." = DD noted that Scott Boras was Matt's agent.

And some of us came to this same conclusion even without the considerable "insight". Lucky guess... because I certainly have no better understanding of DD's process than you do. Fortunately, that does not preclude us from having an opinion that we can express on the OH.

People who don't go on fishing expeditions don't catch anything. And they often see fishing as just guessing and a waste of time and resources. Ted Williams would disagree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had a fish jump into the boat I was in. Does that count? I did catch it with my hands to throw it overboard.

I believe it too... But I think Dan made the decision on his own regardless of Showalter's prodding. Would have offered or not offered on his own terms.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ian Kennedy expected to reject Padres’ qualifying*offer <a href="https://t.co/cACFVhsMsf">https://t.co/cACFVhsMsf</a></p>— HardballTalk (@HardballTalk) <a href="

">November 8, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

One down.

I've had a fish jump into the boat I was in. Does that count? I did catch it with my hands to throw it overboard.

I remember some kind of Orioles highlights show from the early 80s where Rick Dempsey dove into this murky looking pond, fully clothed, disappeared under the water, and came out with a live fish clenched in his teeth. I have no idea what that was all about, except, well, Rick Dempsey.

I remember some kind of Orioles highlights show from the early 80s where Rick Dempsey dove into this murky looking pond, fully clothed, disappeared under the water, and came out with a live fish clenched in his teeth. I have no idea what that was all about, except, well, Rick Dempsey.
At least he kept his clothes on.....didn't he?

Archived