Wieters is staying with the Orioles for 2016

VeveJones007

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roy says O'Day has a 30 million dollar three year deal. We there?

Who else are we going to get? He's worth it. I'd rather give O'day that than someone like Parra or Murphy. At least we know he's worth it.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but if we keep O'day, bring back Pearce and improve the SP depth, I'd renew my season tickets.

Who else are we going to get? He's worth it. I'd rather give O'day that than someone like Parra or Murphy. At least we know he's worth it.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but if we keep O'day, bring back Pearce and improve the SP depth, I'd renew my season tickets.

If you sign O'Day...You have 12 million to spend on the entire rest of the off-season. Maybe. Maybe not. Dan may only have a 100 million dollar budget.

No it's not only one year. The ripple effect impacts every other offseason acquisition by completely altering what is possible and what isn't. Money that might have been available for a single big-ticket FA is no longer available. They don't sign for one year only. Flexibility with mid-level FA's has been significantly reduced. Few of them will sign for one year only. The holes in the lineup that existed yesterday still exist today but the primary tool for addressing them has been reduced by 40% if we use the commonly accepted figure of $40 million available budget for 2016. All so the team could gamble on a surplus career 100 OPS+ catcher on the off-chance that we might "win" a player with an extremely small chance of contributing even 3 WAR over the next 6 years.

Oh I agree with this whole post. I didn't want to offer the QO because I thought this outcome was likely. At the same time they are at least retaining him only for one year instead of signing him to a multi year deal.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Come October 2016 I could be singing a different tune, but for now, as a fan of the Orioles and not thinking about "value" I'm thrilled to have Wieters back. I'd love to see us rework a deal with him, but I'm sure he'll be happy to play through the QO and try to build his value back for next year's offseason. If that's his gameplan, should be a good year for him, and thus for Orioles fans.

Now get to work on building the rest of the team.

Emphasis on one-year

“When it came down to it, there’s no other organization or city from my experience in the major leagues where I’d rather play, especially on a one-year deal, than Baltimore,”
“I think the difficult thing was just trying to figure out what was best for me and my family and what I felt what God was leading me to do,” Wieters said. “I tried to grind out a decision really quick in the offseason and then it just came to me that what can be better than playing for the team that I love in the city I love for another year. Hopefully, God willing, a healthy year would be great.”
source - The Sun

No, he played more towards a 1.6 WIN pace. He put up a 0.8 WAR in 75 games. Double that to 150, which is being generous for a catcher, and he's at a 1.6 win pace. Add in he's a 29-year old tall catcher who has accumulated 3.9 WAR over the last three years combined and I'm not sure you can can assume 2 wins. Even if you can, this still comes back to the fact the team had cheap talent that could match or beat Wieters. This team can not afford to pay premium for players where they had cheaper options under contract already.

Last year Wieters lost alot of value by only catching in 55 out of his 75 games played. As a DH he's probably at or below replacement level and that really hurt him. Assuming he goes back to being a regular catcher, he's going to be worth more per game than he was last year. I don't think the Orioles will restrict him catching back to back days like they did this year.

Steamer has Wieters projected at 2.2 WAR in 98 games next year. Prior to his injury he was at over 140 games a year. He won't do that again, but it's certainly reasonable that he could be pushing 3 WAR, and he's a pretty safe bet to be 2 WAR or better.

For the QO contract, in a vacuum, Wieters' deal is certainly reasonable and has good upside for surplus value. I think that's the only point Drungo is trying to make and I think he's right there. The problem is that the Orioles have a more than capable replacement in Joseph, who may be as good as Wieters, and A LOT of holes and not nearly enough money to fill them now.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that the Orioles didn't have an agreement in place with Wieters to not accept. From the outside looking in, it appears Duquette gambled and lost on this one.
My guess, and it's only a guess, is that Showalter really wanted him back, hence the QO.

Just stop. You are being silly now. Using a career average of fWAR to determine the value of a 30-year old catcher who hasn't been worth more than that since 26-years old is bordering on ludicrous. I know you know better and I'm starting to be convinced someone has hacked your account because you are too smart for this kind of stuff.

Even if you assume that Wieters is a broken down dog just waiting to be put out of his misery, it's a 1 year deal. If we need to sign someone to a long term deal, the only real consequence is that we have to backload an extra 7 million. That's certainly not pocket change, but it's not the end of the world, either. If Cisco ends up being the real deal, then it could be a blessing in disguise; without Wieters, we'd have to find a new backup for Joseph (probably replacement level) or possibly sign a guy like Salty to a 2-year deal, which will be 1 year too many if Cisco shows up. We paid $5-7 million for for that performance/flexibility combination. I don't think that's outrageous.

edit: You're also assuming worst case for Wieters, and best case for Joseph. I'm not entirely convinced Caleb Joseph is a serviceable ML starting catcher. Luis Hernandez looked like a ML-average SS in short stints, until he didn't.

As a comparison, we paid 8 million + a high draft pick for a declining Nelson Cruz. Is 15 million for Matt Wieters in a more expensive economic environment really worse than that?

Also, not that it means much, but guys in contract years do tend to perform better.

Archived