Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd offer 10/300 M with an opt out at 5 years.

He is getting a maximum of $25 million over the next two years. $35M a year, two years in advance is a pretty crazy number. Making him the highest paid player in baseball two years before free agency is a bit much.

He is getting a maximum of $25 million over the next two years. $35M a year, two years in advance is a pretty crazy number. Making him the highest paid player in baseball two years before free agency is a bit much.
OK you don't want, him trade him, he'll get more in FA at age 26.

OK you don't want, him trade him, he'll get more in FA at age 26.

I'm just saying that signing a player 3 years before free agency gets a team some kind of discount, and 8/$275M is no discount. Maybe he puts up 20+ WAR over the next three seasons and gets $35 million a year, but do you really think he would get $40 million a year?

I'm just saying that signing a player 3 years before free agency gets a team some kind of discount, and 8/$275M is no discount. Maybe he puts up 20+ WAR over the next three seasons and gets $35 million a year, but do you really think he would get $40 million a year?
Yes it's quite possible. More like 35 M though. What happens if he has an MVP year in 2016? That's not out of the question.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/8420472e5a6948158d49f360cb872898/ap-newsbreak-ap-source-arrieta-cubs-agree-107m

Jake Arrieta and the Chicago Cubs found a number that worked in the canyon between their arbitration proposals.

Arrieta has agreed to a $10.7 million, one-year contract for the highest one-year deal for a pitcher eligible for arbitration for the second time.

Yikes at all the comments. Seems like most are not bullish on Os despite retaining their own.

I haven't read the comments, but I agree that merely spending a lot of money to retain players from an 81 win team is not what I'd call "impressive." If they can figure out a way to get this team to 90 wins, then I'll be (in hindsight) impressed.

I haven't read the comments, but I agree that merely spending a lot of money to retain players from an 81 win team is not what I'd call "impressive." If they can figure out a way to get this team to 90 wins, then I'll be (in hindsight) impressed.

I am not sure I believe that because a group of players wins 81 games in one season that it necessarily means they are an "81 win team" the next season. The playoff roster in 2014 had an infield that did not include Chris Davis or Manny Machado but did include Kelly Johnson and Steve Pearce. That playoff roster had Nick Hundley and Caleb Joseph as catchers and this year's team has Matt Wieters and Caleb Joseph. Does it mean that Kelly Johnson, Steve Pearce, Alejandro DeAza, David Lough, Nick Hundley, Tommy Hunter, Bud Norris were 97 win team players? Should we seek to get them all back for 2016? Each season is its own entity and players progress, regress, have career years, get hurt, get replaced. As has been noted, it is likely if the pitchers pitch to their capabilities, we will do very well- in fact, we will likely win as many games as we did in 2014. If they don't, we won't.

A-Rod averaged 7.0 fWAR a season over his original 10-year contract. On a production basis, he was worth his contract and then some. Unless you think Manny is going to use steroids or force his way out of town into a bad trade, like A-Rod, comparing him to A-Rod circa age 25/26 when he signed that contract is not a bad comparison.

I meant, what did they win because they allocated all to him. My question was in response to someone saying extending Manny was the only thing they would have spent money on. To own an A-Rod, you have to have money to put a team around him. The ownership of Texas lost the team over the wrong process.

I meant, what did they win because they allocated all to him. My question was in response to someone saying extending Manny was the only thing they would have spent money on. To own an A-Rod, you have to have money to put a team around him. The ownership of Texas lost the team over the wrong process.

I think that is directed toward my response. :)

I would argue that Manny will be worth more to this team through the length of his contract than all the other moves we've made this offseason combined. I don't think it will be close.

Archived