Ortiz retiring, will the Orioles "honor" him?

Norfolk orioles

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand that WAR understates his contributions on a gut-feeling level because he's been in a ton of postseason series where he played well, and he's been in a bunch of championship parades that he helped make possible. But he's still a guy who's played fewer innings in the field in his entire 19-year career than Ryan Flaherty. He really is 20 wins worse than Edgar Martinez who can't get any traction in the HOF voting.

My "gut feeling" is that WAR stats are inadequate to use in and of themselves and it's not as simple as just using any one stat. Being the dominant hitter on a very successful team for a lot of years means more imo.

My "gut feeling" is that WAR stats are inadequate to use in and of themselves and it's not as simple as just using any one stat. Being the dominant hitter on a very successful team for a lot of years means more imo.

Even if you didn't contribute at all to your defense ever and still didn't come within a country mile of Edgar in career value? WAR isn't a single, simple stat. It's a consistent framework for combining the various ways a player can contribute. And David Ortiz is the 27th-best hitter since 1995 (min 2000 PAs). Per regular season PA he's the same hitter as Brian Giles, Vlad, Matt Holliday, and Jason Giambi. Is that a "dominant" hitter? He's certainly not been as good as Bagwell or Pujols or Edgar or Manny or Miguel Cabrera.

I know you put more value on other things than WAR, but keep in mind that Ortiz has about 50 career WAR over 20 seasons. This would put him in the bottom 25% of non-pitcher HOF players... and many of those guys with less WAR either played in the dead ball era or played for several less seasons. I know WAR isn't everything... but that's not a good sign.

Even if you didn't contribute at all to your defense ever and still didn't come within a country mile of Edgar in career value? WAR isn't a single, simple stat. It's a consistent framework for combining the various ways a player can contribute. And David Ortiz is the 27th-best hitter since 1995 (min 2000 PAs). Per regular season PA he's the same hitter as Brian Giles, Vlad, Matt Holliday, and Jason Giambi. Is that a "dominant" hitter? He's certainly not been as good as Bagwell or Pujols or Edgar or Manny or Miguel Cabrera.

Ramirez was a far superior hitter. And according to Corn, tested positive the same number of times that Ortiz did.

I agree with all of this, but he's a Red Sock, so that POS will be a HOF.

Archived