Ortiz retiring, will the Orioles "honor" him?

Norfolk orioles

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I absolutely despise Papi, right behind Batista, but let's not undermine what Ortiz has done since arriving with the Red Sox. The dude is a great DH.

Back to the thread topic...I'd give him the broken dugout phone, and I would do it at home plate in a "ceremony" so that we could embarrass the hell out of him.

He'd probably get so teed off that he'd grab a bat and shatter it even more.

Baseball gave Cal a significant farewell tour.

Jeter and Rivera both got farewells from the Orioles.

If we give that turd Ortiz anything other than a fastball in the back in his final game at Camden yards I will be extremely disappointed but given the way baseball and ESPN work now, we will probably be forced to give him the key to the city because he plays for the "sawks".

Thoughts? Honestly, I'd give him a bill for the bullpen phone as a parting gift. Maybe a frame to put it in. That's it.

A bill for damages on the price of the phone. On Oriole letterhead. Accompanying letter by PA's firm. No joke. The whole thing is real. See ya.

I personally dont have a problem with Big Papi other than the fact he was the best player on the team I hated. He has a big personality and will probably end up being a co-host of a show on mlb network.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yeah, you weren't the poor schmuck who had to replace and fix the phone on Monday. If he is a co-host, yet another reason not to watch that ridiculous, pandering network. Like I needed another reason.

By fWAR Ortiz is the 323rd best major league player of all time. Do we really need to set the precedence that a player of that quality gets a year-long fawning adoration tour? Does Bartolo Colon get one? He's been as valuable, even on a per-pound basis. How about Mark Buehrle, or Javier Vazquez? I don't remember the Jim Edmonds farewell roadshow, did I just miss that? I'm guessing that Ichiro, Fred McGriff, Robin Ventura, and Bobby Abreu didn't get so much as a $10 voucher to the National Aquarium gift shop when they pass(ed) through Baltimore one last time.
I've always liked him and have never understood the animosity. So he destroyed a phone. Who cares? He's a great player and deserves to be recognized in the same way that Jeter and Rivera were.

Apparently, not everyone has the same standards. Jim Edmonds and Bartolo are thinking about a two man tour to make it more palatable to would be owners trying to scratch out a few extra dollars at the gate. The bearded lady can't be far behind.

Apparently, not everyone has the same standards. Jim Edmonds and Bartolo are thinking about a two man tour to make it more palatable to would be owners trying to scratch out a few extra dollars at the gate. The bearded lady can't be far behind.

I did not know that Ichiro quit yet! And he'd love the Aquarium.

Archived