Ortiz retiring, will the Orioles "honor" him?

Norfolk orioles

I meant when he admitted that he was in the testing program.

Only way to get in that and us not to know would be failing a test for greenies right?

It could have been Steroids and they just were unable to suspend him for some reason. It may have been negotiated.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with all of this, but he's a Red Sock, so that POS will be a HOF.

He probably has the most "extra credit" above and beyond his regular season playing record of any of his peers. He will (and maybe he should) get a lot of points for his 1.200-whatever OPS in the World Series, his leadership on famous Championship teams, his exalted status among Sox fans. I won't argue that the true value of his entire career is 46 wins. But how much is that extra stuff worth? He has 300 career postseason PAs. Do you weight those triple? 10 times? I'm sure the BBWAA will weight it however much is necessary to get him in Cooperstown.

He's a giant douchebag.

I'd like a nice Gausman fastball right between the numbers. Or right on the knee so he thinks about it every time he has to haul his fat ass around the bases.

Say what you want about River and Jeter, they were great players who were class acts, too. Just happened to play for the wrong team. Not only does Ortiz play for the wrong team, he's a crybaby *****.

I guarantee if he doesn't get the "send off" treatment that Jeter, Rivera, Ripken and other greats received, he will ***** about it. He will whine.

I can't stand it when people call Jeter a "class act." Ortiz is one of the best power hitters I've ever seen. The reasons people have for hating him strike me as incredibly juvenile.

I think WAR significantly undervalues DHs.

If you have 2 guys who can play 1st base pretty much equally - both average, one plays every game at 1st, one DH's every game, they hit the same. Does the guy who plays 1st get a significantly higher WAR? Should he?

If you have 2 guys who can play 1st base pretty much equally - both average, one plays every game at 1st, one DH's every game, they hit the same. Does the guy who plays 1st get a significantly higher WAR? Should he?

Why don't they share the positions? Because whoever is forced to DH, is sure getting the HOF shaft. Unlike Ortiz. Who has never been capable of playong a position, or running to second.

The guy who played first actually fields hundreds of balls a year. He actually contributes to his team's defense. Is there any good reason to credit the guy who didn't with those plays?

The guy who played first actually fields hundreds of balls a year. He actually contributes to his team's defense. Is there any good reason to credit the guy who didn't with those plays?
If the guy who fields hundreds of ball is a negative RS then maybe.

I think they should be rated the same, because the team would be the same with either playing 1st base.

I think they should be rated the same, because the team would be the same with either playing 1st base.

How do we know that? In a theoretical construct we can hypothesize that we have two equal players and the choice is a coin flip whose decision stands for 162 games. It's rarely that simple. David Ortiz played 2000 defensive innings spread across almost 20 years because he was a terrible fielder and his teams almost always had a better fielding first baseman.

Archived