Astros Trade: Thoughts?

sportsfan8703

Houston gets:

Closer Zach Britton

Baltimore gets:

Jon Singleton (25)- Left handed First basemen.

Preston Tucker (25)- Left handed OF.

Vincent Velasquez (23)- RH SP/RP

Why Houston does it:

Houston wants to add a closer after blowing some leads in the KC series. Plus they are losing 4 players to FA from their pen. Britton makes a ton of sense for them. They could view him as a final piece. They have a loaded system, top to bottom. We've already taken advantage of that with trades for Chris Lee and R.Rodriguez during last season. Former top prospect Singleton sports a .620 MLB OPS in SSS. He's also blocked at 1B and DH by Carter, Gattis and a slew of other bats. Tucker got less than 400 Ab's last year and with Rasmus coming back, I don't see him as anything more than a 4th OF'er for them. Velasquez appeared in 19 games last year including 7 GS. Pretty sure one was against the O's. But again he's probably unlikely to make the rotation and would just be a spot starter or bullpen guy next year. This also clears up some 40 man roster spots and prevents them from losing more guys in the Rule V draft. See Deshields last year.

Why Baltimore does it: It fills 3 spots on the roster. Tucker would immediately become the LF or RF. Singleton can get regular AB's at 1B and DH. Velasquez would battle with Worley for the 5th spot in the rotation. Plus by my math each player still has 5-6 years of team control left. That's huge for a cash strapped team in the AL East. I see this as another way to take advantage of the surplus of talent that Houston has.

Thoughts?

Houston gets:

Closer Zach Britton

Baltimore gets:

Jon Singleton (25)- Left handed First basemen.

Preston Tucker (25)- Left handed OF.

Vincent Velasquez (23)- RH SP/RP

Why Houston does it:

Houston wants to add a closer after blowing some leads in the KC series. Plus their losing 4 players to FA. Britton makes a ton of sense for them. They could view him as a final piece. They have a loaded system, top to bottom. We've already taken advantage of that with trades for Chris Lee and R.Rodriguez during last season. Former top prospect Singleton sports a .620 MLB OPS in SSS. He's also blocked at 1B and DH by Carter, Gattis and a slew of other bats. Tucker got less than 400 Ab's last year and with Rasmus coming back, I don't see him as anything more than a 4th OF'er for them. Velasquez appeared in 19 games last year including 7 GS. Pretty sure one was against the O's. But again he's probably unlikely to make the rotation and would just be a spot starter or bullpen guy next year. This also clears up some 40 man roster spots and prevents them from losing more guys in the Rule V draft. See Deshields last year.

Why Baltimore does it: It fills 3 spots on the roster. Tucker would immediately become the LF or RF. Singleton can get regular AB's at 1B and DH. Velasquez would battle with Worley for the 5th spot in the rotation. Plus by my math each player still has 5-6 years of team control left. That's huge for a cash strapped team in the AL East. I see this as another way to take advantage of the surplus of talent that Houston has.

Thoughts?

Three of their top ten prospects or hang up. No need to trade.

I would probably do it for Velasquez straight-up. I'm indifferent as to the other two and don't really like either as everyday guys. Certainly not Singleton. But Velasquez is a dude -- I'd definitely take him on my squad (and hope Baltimore's dev guys can help smooth out the rough edges).

Three of their top ten prospects or hang up. No need to trade.

I don't think you get three. That seems crazy in such a good system, no? Maybe I'm wrong. Musgrove is the name a suggested to a buddy around the trade deadline. Looked like Lackey to me when I saw him in April.

I don't think you get three. That seems crazy in such a good system, no? Maybe I'm wrong. Musgrove is the name a suggested to a buddy around the trade deadline. Looked like Lackey to me when I saw him in April.

I'd take him and either Tucker or Reed and Paulino. Sure.

I'd take him and either Tucker or Reed and Paulino. Sure.

I liked Paulino as well. Big boy. I think Reed is overvalued by the market, generally. He might be Goldie. He might be Sexton. But Sexton playing in an expanded strike zone era.

I would probably do it for Velasquez straight-up. I'm indifferent as to the other two and don't really like either as everyday guys. Certainly not Singleton. But Velasquez is a dude -- I'd definitely take him on my squad (and hope Baltimore's dev guys can help smooth out the rough edges).

I'm having a hard time comprehending the words 'Baltimore' and what I'm sure was the shorthand for 'developmental' in same sentence.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this. I know Buck has said we're not moving Britton but the Astros dealing for a closer is playing out right now. MLBTR is saying Velasquez and two prospects. Sure would be nice to get Velasquez, and two of Reed, Musgrove, Guduan, Appel. I really think we're not taking advantage of a major chance to get a haul for Britton. Especially with O'day locked up for 4 years, and the Chapman situation.

Archived