Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My credible source tells me that Darren O'Day and the Orioles have agreed on a deal and it will be announced shortly. I am told that it's a four year deal. This is my same source that gave me the information to tell you about the Tommy Hunter trade to the Cubs before any media outlets even reported it.

Good info again.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Nationals had a better offer on table for O'Day as far as average annual value. But Os offered fourth year. Nats didnt.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe this is the going rate in this inflated offseason, but we could come back in two or three years and think teams just spent sickening amounts of $ with regret. Maybe our payroll is heading to $150M with MASN sending to the Os a better market rate and ownership not keeping as much of the profits. We'll see if DoD justifies the contract, but I am not sure it matters because this deal IMO really starts to play with the team construct as our pre-FA guys start to require bigger $.

Maybe we can trade DoD at some point next season or the one after (depending on no trade stuff if it exists here), but it seems like a typical Duquette (and Showalter) move of the past few years - instead of passing on a player, DD is anteing up and knowingly overpaying. IMO, there are always are other fish in the sea with RPs. Some of our best trades the past five to seven years have been trading RPs and our bp has been none the worse for losing Sherrill, Koji, JJ and others - this is the direction I would have preferred and maybe we could still go, but the contract itself feels very high.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that my credible source told me that the Orioles had been receiving "strong interest" for one of their lefty bullpen arms, although he wasn't able to tell which one. Maybe these Tony Sipp rumors are related to that.
While I think there would be some interest in Matusz I wouldn't call it strong, so I'd assume it's Britton. Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I think this would be it, and/or Matusz. LH OF bat.

I think they would do a switch out for Matusz if anything since the salary would probably directly swap...but I have no idea what the trade haul for Matusz would be. Comparing to offseason budgets this year to last year... with signing O'Day they more or less repurposed Hunter's money to arbitration increases + a little for O'Day and added about 4M more to the bullpen budget. A sizable increase but consider this...Its still less then what De Aza got in arbitration last year... or if you want to keep the pitching staff in a vacuum for comparison, half of what Bud Norris got. You just have to hope we have less salary disasters this year then last.

I would look to 2017 for decisions. I think if Givens gives us a full season of what he just did he looks very appealing in the closer role with ODay continuing to setup. Britton becomes expendable then especially at the 8-10 mil he would command in Arbitration and would bring in a great haul with another dominant closing season.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O'Day deal probably won't become official till end of the week. Needs to take physical. Team docs here in Nashville for winter meetings.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O'Day deal probably won't become official till end of the week. Needs to take physical. Team docs here in Nashville for winter meetings.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Makes sense. Also, 40 man move is needed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"></p>— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="

Person raising both hands in celebration. Medium dark skin tone. Emojis.

Archived