2016 Boston Red Sox

Moose Milligan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

ESPN's Scott Lauber reflects on the Red Sox' decision not to trade Xander Bogaerts for Cliff Lee back in 2013.

As is the case in football in which sometimes the best passes that a quarterback makes are the ones that he doesn't throw, sometimes the best trades that a MLB GM makes are the ones that he doesn't.

Why Emergence of Xander Bogaerts Should Give the Red Sox Reason to Pause on Trades

(By Scott Lauber)

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/49554/why-emergence-of-xander-bogaerts-should-give-red-sox-pause-about-trading-top-prospects

They just put Castillo on waivers. They'll have to eat close to $50M when no one claims him.

I don't understand how waivers works on some players. But evidently in Castillo's case if no one claims him he goes back to the minors and the team can call him up any time they want by adding him to the 40 man roster. I don't know why you can do that but if we send Jiminez down and no one claims him he is a free agent and any team can sign him for the league minimum.

I don't understand how waivers works on some players. But evidently in Castillo's case if no one claims him he goes back to the minors and the team can call him up any time they want by adding him to the 40 man roster. I don't know why you can do that but if we send Jiminez down and no one claims him he is a free agent and any team can sign him for the league minimum.

Has to do with multiple factors. One is service time. Second is that he has never been waived before. If he clears, he has to accept thr assignment. Third, the money. As with Craig, they would have to forfeit their obscene salaries to be come free agents. Not happening.

Has to do with multiple factors. One is service time. Second is that he has never been waived before. If he clears, he has to accept thr assignment. Third, the money. As with Craig, they would have to forfeit their obscene salaries to be come free agents. Not happening.

I guess DD was right to not go after this Cuban prospect, unlike what some of the OH posters wanted him to do.

Towards the end of May, the Red Sox had averaged 5.90 runs/game and I opined that I didn't think they would sustain that. They've averaged 4.83 runs/game in June -- still very healthy but nowhere near their earlier pace.

Seems to me they probably rushed him back, because his fastball has just been hitting 94. Wasn't he hitting 97 at least occasionally since the O's traded him? Meanwhile, he's taking a hit with the Bahston media.

Seems to me they probably rushed him back, because his fastball has just been hitting 94. Wasn't he hitting 97 at least occasionally since the O's traded him? Meanwhile, he's taking a hit with the Bahston media.

Team meeting

No, his fast ball was up to 93 the last time I saw him with Bowie It had been down earlier that year That may have been a spring gun reading. He got banged up there too that year.

Anyway. Team Meeting.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/red-sox-hold-team-meeting-041658980.html

Archived