Tender Updates (Janish, Lough Non-Tendered)

wildcard

I would normally agree with you, but given how we are so reliant on the bullpen, I don't see how we could lose O'day and Matusz in the same offseason. We just don't have the lefties in the system to replace him this year. Plus, the optimist in me, says that Matusz has a little bit of a bigger role next year and excels. He's a nibbler just like how Arrieta used to be. If only he would stop that.

You did not just mention Arrieta and Matusz as comps. Did you?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You did not just mention Arrieta and Matusz as comps. Did you?

They are comparable in the sense that both had reasonable performances as young starting pitchers under Rick Kranitz, then regressed under Connor and Adair. It would be unreasonable to think that Matusz could ever have been the dominant pitcher that Jake evolved into in 2015, but I don't think it is unreasonable to think that Matusz might have been a successful starting pitcher under different circumstances.

Regarding the nibbling, Matusz had a mysterious problem with his control early last season, that eventually calmed down. He walked 16 batters in the first half of the season (7 in April), and only 4 after the all-star break. Still, he clearly has trouble locating the outside corner vs. RHB. He walked 16 of 98 RHB that he faced (3 were intentional), and only 4 of the 108 LHB. I'm not optimistic that his role in the bullpen can be expanded significantly.

Roch makes some good points, particularly in his comparison with Gonzalez (who could be considered a non-tender candidate) and Happ. Looking at both, whose body of work are you more impressed by going forward. That said, I'm not one of those who constantly made the excuse for Gonzalez last season that injury was the reason for his lack of success. He's always been a pitcher who out performed his peripherals.

Roch makes some good points, particularly in his comparison with Gonzalez (who could be considered a non-tender candidate) and Happ. Looking at both, whose body of work are you more impressed by going forward. That said, I'm not one of those who constantly made the excuse for Gonzalez last season that injury was the reason for his lack of success. He's always been a pitcher who out performed his peripherals.

Me too. But if Happ is worth that money, you have to tender I think.

They are comparable in the sense that both had reasonable performances as young starting pitchers under Rick Kranitz, then regressed under Connor and Adair. It would be unreasonable to think that Matusz could ever have been the dominant pitcher that Jake evolved into in 2015, but I don't think it is unreasonable to think that Matusz might have been a successful starting pitcher under different circumstances.

Regarding the nibbling, Matusz had a mysterious problem with his control early last season, that eventually calmed down. He walked 16 batters in the first half of the season (7 in April), and only 4 after the all-star break. Still, he clearly has trouble locating the outside corner vs. RHB. He walked 16 of 98 RHB that he faced (3 were intentional), and only 4 of the 108 LHB. I'm not optimistic that his role in the bullpen can be expanded significantly.

Andy got Krantitz for his bullpen.

Position Players

Pedro Alvarez

Peter Bourjos

Drew Butera

Chris Carter

Pedro Ciriaco

Collin Cowgill

Ike Davis

Ryan Flaherty

Sam Fuld

Paul Janish

Jose Lobaton

David Lough

Will Middlebrooks

Tyler Moore

Brandon Moss

Nolan Reimold

Ben Revere

Rene Rivera

Hector Sanchez

Michael Saunders

Eric Sogard

Ruben Tejada

Josh Thole

Brett Wallace

Pitchers

Al Alburquerque

Henderson Alvarez

Steve Cishek

Louis Coleman

Ryan Cook

Aaron Crow

Steve Delabar

Felix Doubront

Josh Edgin

Neftali Feliz

Charlie Furbush

Nick Hagadone

Greg Holland

Jeff Locke

Ryan Mattheus

Jenrry Mejia

Mike Minor

Addison Reed

Marc Rzepczynski

Tanner Scheppers

Craig Stammen

Carlos Torres

Jacob Turner

Vance Worley

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/non-tender-candidates-7.html

To me the non tender date is the time to get rid of player(s) you don't want to pay. That is Matusz and Janish IMO. Its not hard to DFA a player.

I think after the non tender deadline the O's DFA players to make space when they add other players. They sign Pedro Alvarez, then Paredes might go. They sign Kazmir, then Johnson may go. JMO.

Navarro is hitting pretty well in winter ball. I think they give Berry more time to develop. The O's need lefties.

And the Reds NT 3 players, 2 of which were pre-arb players. Just saying it is a growing trend.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived