Stan "The Fan" Charles: Chris Davis' Agent, Scott Boras, Playing Risky Game Of Chicken With Orioles

PressBoxOnline

Stan "The Fan" Charles says agent Scott Boras' current stance may play Chris Davis out of Baltimore, even if that isn't what the slugger truly wants.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/2015/12/09/chris-davis-agent-scott-boras-playing-risky-game-of-chicken-with-orioles

Yeah, as I just stated in the other Davis thread, players often behave as though they work for their agent, and not the other way around.

Let's hope that Davis remembers that Boras works for him, and asserts himself and his wants/needs into the negotiation(s.)

As soon as I heard (months back) that Davis felt the matter was "out of his hands" I knew his agent was the problem.

His agent may be the problem but if Chris really wants to stay then he calls up the agent and says take the deal. Period. What is Boras going to do quit? It isn't like there has been a bigger market for offense players set by other signings. If this deal is taken I would expect this to set the "market" and the Upton's etc will get similar years and dollars.

As soon as I heard (months back) that Davis felt the matter was "out of his hands" I knew his agent was the problem.

I understand what you are saying, but Davis needs to be held accountable for acting as though he is Boras' employee, also.

So yes, Boras and his schtick is a problem ...... but so is Davis and his acting like a helpless child in all of this, and not the adult that he is.

I understand what you are saying, but Davis needs to be held accountable for acting as though he is Boras' employee, also.

So yes, Boras and his schtick is a problem ...... but so is Davis and his acting like a helpless child in all of this, and not the adult that he is.

It's possibly inexperience. Davis has had his agent/attorney make all the deals to this point !?! My point: First time I had an attorney I made the same mistake. Let him control things too much, I never know what was happening in the negotiations. Drove me nuts, eventually fired him because he would not give up control. Wanted to do what he wanted, not what I wanted. Live and learn.

Davis needs to learn and quick.

It's possibly inexperience. Davis has had his agent/attorney make all the deals to this point !?! My point: First time I had an attorney I made the same mistake. Let him control things too much, I never know what was happening in the negotiations. Drove me nuts, eventually fired him because he would not give up control. Wanted to do what he wanted, not what I wanted. Live and learn.

Davis needs to learn and quick.

Not sure that is even possible. But interesting thoughts.

+1. There's nothing wrong with Boras' MO if that is what the player wants. Davis hired him.

Trumbo's best value is at 1B. Signing Davis is bad on both ends. Too big and long a contract for and makes Trumbo an over paid DH or OF.

Trumbo has a one year deal, dude. Cool your jets. I'm sure Davis would play some OF or DH in 2016 and then Trumby can play some first if it makes you happy.

Jon Heyman, aka Scott Boras' favorite mouthpiece, reported it.

So... maybe, maybe not?

Rates pretty high on my BS meter, but I really never believe much of anything I see when it comes to public contract negotiations.

Man, between dealing with Chris Davis and Howard Stern, I'm a mess these days. haha

If I'm Davis and I want to stay in Baltimore maybe I respond with asking for a six instead of seven year deal for $160 or so. See how the O's respond and negotiate from there. I know Boras would want much more but if I'm Davis and I really want to stay in town I try to outflank Boras. Otherwise, he must not really care that much about it. Which is fine, honestly. Davis doesn't owe us anything. We gave him an opportunity but he also helped us end our playoff drought in 2012 and kept us relevant the two years we didn't make it. I'd call that a wash. If he is indifferent to whether he stays in Baltimore that's his business.

Jon Heyman, aka Scott Boras' favorite mouthpiece, reported it.

Per MLBTR, Heyman also reported that the Orioles offer exceeds $150M......

But if Davis wants $200M.......good riddance.

Also, per B. Ghiroli: ?Not that long,? Showalter said on how long the O?s will wait on Davis. ?I won?t wait forever.?

Archived