Why the O's will be better in 2016

wildcard

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Tillman's problems in 2015 were conditioning-related. He previously had been a guy who pitched better as the game went along, whereas last year he often had trouble in the middle innings. I hope he's addressing this issue this winter.

Getting married and honeymooning all winter was a bad choice.

For Orioles fans...probably totally worth it for Tillman.

Talking about "the way he was pitching" but not results seems silly. If it wasn't affecting his results then we should expect exactly the same pitcher next year, right? If the reason he had a bad 2015 was injury, shouldn't that be written all over the results?

He got injured in early June, so I was using half season splits, but you were worried about his command. Here are his monthly splits:

2015 Mar/Apr IP: 23.2 BB% 11.0

2015 May IP: 38.1 BB% 7.1

2015 Jun IP: 20.1 BB% 5.8

2015 Jul IP: 27.0 BB% 5.2

2015 Aug IP: 31.2 BB% 10.3

So his line drive percentage didn't go up after his groin injury. And his walk rate didn't go up after his groin injury. His velocity was the same after his groin injury. Oh, and his xFIP was exactly in line with his career numbers. Tell me again why we would believe that 2015 was anything outside the norm for Miguel Gonzalez?

This seems like a classic fan trap to fall into. We have a groin injury followed by a rise in ERA, so we all want to believe that this is causation and not a case of a pitchers lack of stuff catching up with him.

Great post

Team on paper means absolutely NOTHING. Year in and year out many teams that look awesome on paper fall flat on their face.

I think this team will return to 2014 levels and get into the the playoffs.

Why?

Because.

Merry Christmas and may Santa stuff your stockings full of positivity.

Thanks for the link.

So the Orioles affiliate tells me not to worry about Tillman and backs it up with inconclusive data, I guess I shouldn't worry then...

The data might be inconclusive but my takeaway is his steady increase in ground ball outs. The two seam FB makes him better. Now he just needs to get his conditioning figured out.

Archived