Tyler Wilson Hopes To Be Part Of Orioles' 2016 Plans

PressBoxOnline

Here's a comprehensive list of pitchers since 2000 who a) threw at least 500 innings in their careers, and b) had a K rate below 4.00: Kirk Reuter, Jimmy Anderson, Aaron Cook. The other 422 pitchers with 500+ innings since 2000 all had higher K rates than 4.00. "Effective in the major leagues" is sexy to me.

Are you looking at his last 130 innings at AAA & Baltimore or are you looking at the entire 588 innings? I think this is a moot point due to the limited SS.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I wouldn't mind Wilson on the SR, or as a #5 pitcher. He's got some good stuff, and we can build him like Gausman, Wright on the other hand is more of a wild card. He'll be good in Norfolk, but I'd like to see what he does in ST, and maybe see some starts in April or May to see where he is at. I think Wright can be a good pitcher, but more like a 3 at most.

Are you looking at his last 130 innings at AAA & Baltimore or are you looking at the entire 588 innings? I think this is a moot point due to the limited SS.

Does anyone have a good explanation why his K rate went from 8.5 per nine in AAA in 2014 to six in 2015, and 3-and-change in Baltimore last year? Based only on that I'd think he was hurt.

He should pitch to contact.

I look at pitchers like Derek Lowe, Mark Buehrle, Scott Erickson, Mike Pelfrey.

Good career sinkerballers. 4 K-Rate for Erickson, 5 K-Rate for Pelfrey, 5.8 for Lowe, 5 for Buehrle.

If Wilson can get his K-rate into the 4-5 range, he should have the tools to do well. I really like his sinker, and really find sinkerballers to be very underrated.

I just think the days of guys like Scott McGregor (career 3.8) are not feasible these days. The ballparks are just so much smaller. That extreme of a lack of K-rate wouldn't work well in the modern game. Heck, even Palmer had a 2 and change k/9 in 1981, but it's much easier to get away with in the ballparks of that era.

He should pitch to contact.

I look at pitchers like Derek Lowe, Mark Buehrle, Scott Erickson, Mike Pelfrey.

Good career sinkerballers. 4 K-Rate for Erickson, 5 K-Rate for Pelfrey, 5.8 for Lowe, 5 for Buehrle.

If Wilson can get his K-rate into the 4-5 range, he should have the tools to do well. I really like his sinker, and really find sinkerballers to be very underrated.

I just think the days of guys like Scott McGregor (career 3.8) are not feasible these days. The ballparks are just so much smaller. That extreme of a lack of K-rate wouldn't work well in the modern game. Heck, even Palmer had a 2 and change k/9 in 1981, but it's much easier to get away with in the ballparks of that era.

The problem is that Erickson, Pelfrey, Lowe, and Buehrle are the outliers. Most guys with 7+ K/9 are reasonable MLB pitchers. Most guys with 4.5 don't even get to the majors. If Wilson ends up with a 4.5 K/9 the odds are heavily stacked against him having a good career, I don't care what his GB rate is. You point out Pelfrey, but omit Tim Hudson (4.6 K/9, 56% GB, 4.44 ERA, 0.1 fWAR), or Kyle Lobstein (4.5 K/9, 52% GB, 5.94 ERA, 0.4 fWAR, or Wily Peralta (4.9 K/9, 51% GB, 4.72 ERA, 0.4 fWAR), or Brian Duensing (4.4 K/9, 51% GB, 4.25 ERA & 5+ FIP, -0.4 fWAR), etc.

As it stands now, if Wright or Wilson is the next man up for this rotation,it doesn't speak well of our rotation.
I am not worried about our #5 spot. Wright and Wilson would be fine as #5's. Maybe even #4's. For the money they are making, they could be good contributors. I am more worried that our guys at the top are Tillman and Ubaldo. Our "aces" are league average or maybe worse than that.

That's kind of how I see it. It's pretty simple: Chen > Wright or Wilson. So, if that's how we replace Chen, we are making our rotation worse, and it wasn't very good to begin with. We might get fortunate and have some of our guys do better in 2016 than in 2015, but even if we do and also get a decent 5th-starter season out of Wright or Wilson, we haven't made the kind of improvement that's likely to put us in legitimate contention.

• 2 months later...
"He's been a winning pitcher since the 10th grade in high school," Showalter said. "There is a great presentation. He's not scared of the competition. There is a lot to like. I think sometimes he gets forgotten about. Not by us. He's a very trustworthy pitcher. You know what you are going to get.

"He really competes. (I like) his tempo. Our tempo of our pitchers hasn't been very good down here. That's Tyler Wilson. He pitches every pitch like it's the seventh game of the World Series and you like that. He brought a lot of energy and tempo to the game, and I think the offense followed that."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/03/showalter-on-rotation-there-is-some-competition-there-that-i-dont-think-people-understand.html

Wilson kind of made a statement today.

His actions said to the other starters "Do you want your rotation spot? If not, i do."

Good to see him step forward.

“There’s some competition here that people haven’t grasped.”

Archived