Tyler Wilson Hopes To Be Part Of Orioles' 2016 Plans

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, I like Wilson and hope he can find a spot on the team. Not overpowering, but hitters have a lot of trouble squaring him up. I think he could be a solid starter for sure, but only one way to find out.

I laughed out loud about the Gonzalez comment. Up until last year, he at least managed to do well for half his starts and below average the other half. Last year, he fell apart at least partially due to injuries. Chris Tillman is another one that bothers me. He walked two straight batters today on eight pitches before being removed and walked three total in 1.2 innings along with five hits and a couple runs. This really doesn't bode well. Yes, I know it's spring training, but this is the same stuff Tillman did all of last year. What has happened to him anyway? I hope it's nothing major and just a spring thing. The Jays have never been nice to him, either. Wilson comes in and throws 3.1 scoreless and only two hits allowed. I agree, that was a strong statement.

• 2 weeks later...
o

(vs. RED SOX, 3/28) O[spring Training]

Tyler Wilson and Mike Wright embraced in the 6th inning.

Wilson loved that Wright was dealing.

Wright thinks that both pitched well enough to make the team.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Wilson has been more consistent than Wright, but Wright has had a couple of very good, long outings.

I was a bit surprised Wilson went only 2 today, given that he should be getting stretched out for a rotation spot either in Baltimore or Norfolk.

But then I got to thinking that the short outing today might mean he can come back and start Thursday and go deeper. Thursday is 5 days before an off day so I don't expect someone in the top 4 in the rotation to go then. Wilson could go Thursday, then pitch significant innings 5 days later on April 5 in extended spring training, and be ready to go Sunday April 10 when we first need a 5th starter, if KG isn't ready to come off the DL.

My take is that Wright and Gonzo are battling for the #4 spot, with Wright getting his last look today and Gonzalez tomorrow vs Atlanta. And Wilson is being lined up as the if-needed #5 starter on the 10th of Gausman can't go.

If Wilson is in fact our starter Thursday that would bolster my guess.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

o

9 OUTS: 3 Groundouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Popout, 1 Foulout, 1 Flyout

PHILIP TYLER WILSON O(vs. TWINS, 4/04) O[Opening Day]

IP:l 3 *

H:;; 2 ll(1 Double, 1 Single)

R:l) 0

BB: 0

SO: 1

Pitches: 38 (26 Strikes, 12 Balls)

2016 ERA: 0.00

PITCHES BY INNING

18 (13 Strikes, 5 Balls)

12 (61 Strikes, 6 Balls)

81 (71 Strikes, 1 Balls)

* Entered the game in the 3rd inning, following a rain delay.

I think when a guy comes in unexpectedly, and after a rain delay, and manages to find the plate for three innings, that's a big deal.

You could say the same for the Twins pitcher. Wilson got blasted and his defense picked him up. There was a ton of wood on those balls, and it easily could have gone the other way.

Archived