BastardO?

TonySoprano

I wonder what the over / under would be from Vegas for days Dylan Bundy will spend on the 25 man roster this year?

For me Bundy is the #5 starter if healthy. Perhaps he could be the mop up guy but I think it would benefit him to pitch regularly.

I don't understand wasting 6 million on Bastardo. I agree if they are trading Matusz or Brach or someone else in the pen. But I'm not for Matusz in the rotation ... Bad decision IMO

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think McFarland is more of a question mark than Worley because TJ can start the year in Norfolk. I hope Worley has a higher chance of starting the year in the bullpen than becoming our replacement for Chen.

There is still time for us to sign another guy, but looking at who is left, Worley may end up being our Chen replacement. And if that is the case, I will be incredibly disappointed.

For me Bundy is the #5 starter if healthy. Perhaps he could be the mop up guy but I think it would benefit him to pitch regularly.

I don't understand wasting 6 million on Bastardo. I agree if they are trading Matusz or Brach or someone else in the pen. But I'm not for Matusz in the rotation ... Bad decision IMO

Bunds doesn't have the available innings to be a SP.

I suspect that Bundy will start the season on the DL and at extended spring training. He can continue to rehab from his surgery - a legitimate reason to DL him, not just roster manipulation - and will gradually build up his innings there. Then he'll go on a month long rehab assignment at Bowie and/or Norfolk and make his debut with the Orioles mid-season. How they'll use him at that point, I have no idea. If they limit his innings most of the season, he could get a couple of starts in September. Hopefully, he'll be full go next season.

I suspect that Bundy will start the season on the DL and at extended spring training. He can continue to rehab from his surgery - a legitimate reason to DL him, not just roster manipulation - and will gradually build up his innings there. Then he'll go on a month long rehab assignment at Bowie and/or Norfolk and make his debut with the Orioles mid-season. How they'll use him at that point, I have no idea. If they limit his innings most of the season, he could get a couple of starts in September. Hopefully, he'll be full go next season.

What surgery?

There are a lot of teams out there that couldn't afford this free agent market for RP. One thing the Orioles do have is some very affordable bullpen pitchers and that may be a decent trade chip for an organization otherwise not known for having many trade chips.

Signing Bastardo is more about a subsequent trade than building a stronger bullpen IMO.

Being linked to Bastardo is very interesting at this point. I'd say our pen is:

Britton

O'day

Givens

Brach

Matusz

Worley

Roe(Bundy if healthy or not in rotation)

Bastardo could simply be a case of a guy falling into our laps. Looks like he was a tier down from the top LH relievers. The relief market went crazy and now this guy is left without a spot. It could just be a case of someone with value falling to us, and us having money. Could mean that we've struck out with the SP's and Matusz is going to the rotation. I'm hoping that signing Bastardo frees Brach to be included in a trade for a SP(Wood).

How many innings do really expect from him? I doubt very much he will start out of ST. I also think that at a given time this year it is sink or swim. There is no sense going through another scenario like this next spring. I believe that will start out in short relief, gradually building to 3-4 inning stints, an occasional spot start to rest regulars. If all works out a few starts over late August-September. Total innings 110-130.

Why wouldn't the Dodgers just sign Bastardo?

Valid question. The dodgers have 4/5 of their rotation occupied by LHP. So ideally they'd be more inclined to acquire a RHP. It's all just message board speculation, but I think it would be a great match. We get the LH SP we need in Wood. They get Brach. Then we sign Bastardo to give us more flexibility in the pen. But other than this thread, I haven't seen us connected to a trade with LAD or the LAD wanting to trade Wood. Really Brach for any SP would be good. But this would be nice:

Gausman

Tillman

Wood

Ubaldo

Gonzo

Britton

O'day

Givens

Matusz

Bastardo

Worley

Bundy(if healthy) or Roe or Norfolk shuttle

It would be an absolute necessity to move someone. Frankly, I don't see the O's spending the money it is likely to take to land Bastardo. Tony Sipp recently signed for 3/$18 mm and Bastardo is very comparable.

If you don't improve the rotation, you build the strongest BP possible. Could that be it?

Archived