O's Have Contacted Upton

SticksandStones

I think the point that many of us are making, as relates to the Olney quote cited in the OP, is that signing Upton for one year would not be worth it. I agree with you that on a lng-term deal, losing control of a draft pick for six MLB years is a lesser concern.

I'm with you. Would not want to lose the pick on a one year deal. If we can nab him for something around 5/90 or 6/100 I would be overjoyed.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the point that many of us are making, as relates to the Olney quote cited in the OP, is that signing Upton for one year would not be worth it. I agree with you that on a lng-term deal, losing control of a draft pick for six MLB years is a lesser concern.

If the deal was so good that you were guaranteed the excess value, the number one guy who wants to keep all the picks would change his mind. It would have to be really good. But J-Up hits some homers.

I like Cespedes first and foremost over Upton because of the pick. We also heard Nelson Cruz wasn't a good clubhouse presence, but I think having Buck takes care of a lot of that. He knows how to manage his players and I haven't heard one Oriole, present or former, not love playing for Buck.

Why would he want a 1 year deal? And why would the O's only offer 1 year? Its like they don't think about years after next year at all

I really don't think that the Orioles want him on a one-year contract. I think that is just idle supposition by Olny. At least I hope so.

Like I just said in one of the other threads, even with a weak FA class next season I don't see Davis or Upton doing appreciably better.

They are still going to have a QO and they will be a year older.

With MFY, BOS, TEX, CHW, and TOR, all looking for a 1B/DH why wouldn't Davis have a better market next year?

With MFY, BOS, TEX, CHW, and TOR, all looking for a 1B/DH why wouldn't Davis have a better market next year?

I would think that if any of those teams really wanted him for 7 years + they wouldn't let a year of him in the OF/DH or a player currently at first stop them.

I also don't think the Yankees will be spending next year, next year is when they get under the cap.

But mostly it is because he is going to be a year older and not likely to have as good a season as he did in 2015.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Theres' been contact between O's & Justin Upton's camp. Matchup makes sense, especially if he goes Nelson Cruz route and takes 1-year deal.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="
">January 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know next season is a weaker class but I am still doubtful that Davis or Upton could do appreciably better next season.

I think the 1 year talk is Olney throwing his 2 cents in.

My guess is that they're not truly in on Cespedes or Upton, that they're just posturing and publicly kicking the tires on another slugger to try and force Boras' hand with regards to Davis.

Yep, everything I have seen leads to me diagnose a case of tunnel vision where PA is concerned.

Hopefully he get offended before Davis takes the deal.

I would think that if any of those teams really wanted him for 7 years + they wouldn't let a year of him in the OF/DH or a player currently at first stop them.

I also don't think the Yankees will be spending next year, next year is when they get under the cap.

But mostly it is because he is going to be a year older and not likely to have as good a season as he did in 2015.

Right the pesky contracts of Encarnacion, HanRam, La Roche, Teixeira, and ARoid, wouldn't be enough to stand in their team's way if they really wanted Davis. :rolleyestf:

Archived