Mark Trumbo agrees to $9.15 million deal to avoid arbitration

xian4

If we're now in a universe where the Orioles are going to add well over $200M in salary commitments to Cespedes and Davis why do they need to clear Wieters and Trumbo? Their combined commitment is going to be roughly 10% of Cespedes and Davis. The margin of error in predicted salaries for Cespedes and Davis is more than what will be paid to Trumbo and Wieters.

WieterS and Trumbo are on 1 year deals. They should not be major factors in our long term commitments. If there was a hard budget cap for this year, we probably would not be talking to either player right now.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everth Cabrera @ $2.4 Million

Alejandro De Aza @ $5 Million

Steve Pearce @ $3.7 Million

Travis Snider @ $2.1 Million

Grand Total of $13.2Million that was a waste last year. Trumbo IMO replaces all four players at $9.15 Million

Total savings for the same production and not wasting 3 roster spots $4.05 Million.

Brilliant move for the cost conscious.

Grand Total of $13.2Million that was a waste last year. Trumbo IMO replaces all four players at $9.15 Million

Total savings for the same production and not wasting 3 roster spots $4.05 Million.

Cabrera was insurance, because they found out the end of the previous season. Flaherty could only fill in for one injured position player, not two. There was some questions about Manny being ready to go by the beginning of the season.

I will not fault DD for trying to have a contingency plan at SS and 3rd. Janish made Cabrera expendable.

Hard to fault DD for De Aza not playing in 2015, like he did, to close out 2014 with the team.

He played better elsewhere in 2015, so do you fault Buck for not getting the most out of DeAza?

This is one of the oddest comparisons ever since this isn't even apples and oranges. This is like apples and monkeys.

Cabrera was insurance, because they found out the end of the previous season. Flaherty could only fill in for one injured position player, not two. There was some questions about Manny being ready to go by the beginning of the season.

I will not fault DD for trying to have a contingency plan at SS and 3rd. Janish made Cabrera expendable.

Hard to fault DD for De Aza not playing in 2015, like he did, to close out 2014 with the team.

He played better elsewhere in 2015, so do you fault Buck for not getting the most out of DeAza?

I was not faulting anyone for what was signed for the 2015 season but was pointing out the cost of those players and what they gave the Orioles in comparison to what the cost is for Mark Trumbo. Every season there are players signed that are both a waste of roster space and a hit onto the budget. Trumbo may or may not be a sunken cost but with the process that is Arbitration, it is what it is.

Cmon weams, really? Thats fantasy baseball...would you rather have Trumbo at 9.1 million or Carter at 3 million? Thats the real question...of course in fantasy where salaries arent a factor you are taking Trumbo.

Trumbo every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Trumbo is a better defensive first baseman, strike out a ton less, and I firmly believe last year pitcher's finally allowed Carter to get himself out. The only thing Carter hit last year were mistake pitches in the middle of the plate and moving fastballs (two-seam, sinkers) gave him fits. As Brooks baseball puts it, Carter has a disastrously high likelihood to swing and miss (32% whiff/swing) on fastballs.

I guess if I'm going to have that kind of swing and miss I'm going to need Chris Davis like power to go with it, and although Carter had a nice 2014, the league adjusted and I see him trending down.

I just think Trumbo is a the safer bet to have a better year and provides more defensive ability at first base. Would I prefer to pay Trumbo less, sure, but I don't necessarily believe he won't be able to fulfill his value in 2016.

This is one of the oddest comparisons ever since this isn't even apples and oranges. This is like apples and monkeys.

All of the aforementioned players went through or could have went through the Arbitration Process last winter.

Everth Cabrera was Non-Tendered and became a free agent.

Steve Pearce and Travis Snider settled before the process.

Alejandro De Aza went through the process and lost

Fast Forward (if I have not lost you yet) to 2015. Mark Trumbo seemed to be a Non-Tender Canidate but was traded to Baltimore. He is/was in his last year of Arbitration. Prior to submitting figures he settles for the aforementioned $9.15 Million.

Apples are the process for which the figures where arrived at and what the total expenditure is/was for the players involved.

Oranges are for the unknown of what Mark Trumbo will do in 2016 BUT if he has what is projected by Marcels 21 HR/ 69 RBI slash line of .247/.302/.438/.740 while getting 509 Plate Appearances he will have surpassed all four for less money in total.

Monkey would be your terse reply.

You've never had a monkey flavored apple?

Right now, Trumbo is the replacement for Davis. He is penciled in as the starting 1B.

The opening day lineup was missing all three of Davis, Hardy and Wieters - as well as Lough and Paredes. Then there was the game of musical chairs at LF. It would be better to compare all subtractions to all additions for position players.

All of the aforementioned players went through or could have went through the Arbitration Process last winter.

Everth Cabrera was Non-Tendered and became a free agent.

Steve Pearce and Travis Snider settled before the process.

Alejandro De Aza went through the process and lost

Fast Forward (if I have not lost you yet) to 2015. Mark Trumbo seemed to be a Non-Tender Canidate but was traded to Baltimore. He is/was in his last year of Arbitration. Prior to submitting figures he settles for the aforementioned $9.15 Million.

Apples are the process for which the figures where arrived at and what the total expenditure is/was for the players involved.

Oranges are for the unknown of what Mark Trumbo will do in 2016 BUT if he has what is projected by Marcels 21 HR/ 69 RBI slash line of .247/.302/.438/.740 while getting 509 Plate Appearances he will have surpassed all four for less money in total.

Monkey would be your terse reply.

You babbled on for a while but still didn't really make a meaningful point. Sure one guy is cheaper than 4 added up. But you are comparing the starting 1B against three OFers and a backup SS. Seems you like talking in vacuums.

You've never had a monkey flavored apple?

Right now, Trumbo is the replacement for Davis. He is penciled in as the starting 1B.

The opening day lineup was missing all three of Davis, Hardy and Wieters - as well as Lough and Paredes. Then there was the game of musical chairs at LF. It would be better to compare all subtractions to all additions for position players.

Apple-Fritter-Monkey-Bread-Barbara-Bakes.jpg

You babbled on for a while but still didn't really make a meaningful point. Sure one guy is cheaper than 4 added up. But you are comparing the starting 1B against three OFers and a backup SS. Seems you like talking in vacuums.

A vacuum it is. I guess simple is better.

This or most of this thread is trying to decipher IF Mark Trumbo is worth the settled price of $9.15 Million. I was trying to place his settlement within what the cost of prior Arbitration or Non-Tendered players cost last year and what production or lack of was received from these Arbitration Eligible Players. Given that this was lost on the snarky posters within the thread, I will politely bid good day.

• 3 weeks later...
The Royals announced today that they have requested unconditional release waivers for right-hander Louis Coleman, who had previously been designated for assignment in order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for fellow right-hander Ian Kennedy

Coleman, who will turn 30 on April 4, tossed just three innings for the Royals in 2015 but had been a regular member of the bullpen in the four seasons prior, pitching to a combined 3.25 ERA with 9.6 K/9 against 3.9 BB/9 in 174 1/3 innings. However, Coleman’s production tailed off badly in 2014, when he recorded a 5.56 ERA in 34 big league innings. While he rebounded with an outstanding 2015 season in Triple-A (1.69 ERA, 8.9 K/9, 3.2 BB/9 in 64 innings), the Royals possess one of the game’s deeper bullpens and have a number of options on the depth chart even with the removal of Coleman from the 40-man roster.

Coleman had been arbitration eligible this offseason and, in fact, already agreed to a one-year deal worth $725K. However, arbitration contracts are not fully guaranteed, so the Royals are only on the hook for 30 days of his prorated salary — just under $119K.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/royals-release-louis-coleman.html

Archived