Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone who thinks this contract will not impact future contracts is hopelessly naive.

This is the nuts and bolts of this thread. I too think they overpaid but the jumping off the ledge commentary assumes this contract will create an even higher level of dumpster diving going forward to offset this deal. That may or may not be true. The past says it likely is.. but lets wait and see what else occurs before we throw in the towel.

We heard a lot about Angelos being involved in this deal. Is that not unusual? It's very odd the deal was increased, but I think he has his favorites and wanted this deal done. Cespedes offer seems like a huge ploy which people got excited about when there was nothing to indicate (other than internet rummagings) Cespedes was seriously considering Baltimore.

Boras prefers to deal with owners...now you see why.

At least 29 GM's wanted nothing to do with Davis at that price.

"Pending physical".

LOL

Orange tinted glasses on:

Did they overpay? Sure. Are they keeping a home run leader and core member of the team that has brought winning baseball back to Charm City? You bet. I'm happy Chris is staying an Oriole and in the long run I think (at least I hope) that we'll look back at this as a good deal. At least Peter put his money where his mouth is, and hope he's not done this off season.

"Pending physical".

LOL

Did they overpay? Sure. Are they keeping a home run leader and core member of the team that has brought winning baseball back to Charm City? You bet. I'm happy Chris is staying an Oriole and in the long run I think (at least I hope) that we'll look back at this as a good deal. At least Peter put his money where his mouth is, and hope he's not done this off season.

Who know how it will be paid for. I believe that the investment level was on Chris alone.

I'm trying to hold off judgment of this deal until I see how everything else plays out. I don't think DD is done yet.

If this team can get some solid contributions on the SP front and maybe pick up an arm or two then I think we can compete.

"Pending physical".

LOL

He should have put his money in a different bank account.

No one is complaining that he spent, it is who he spent on.

Angelos has never been cheap, not really, but the team under his ownership does have a history of not spending intelligently.

Let's see... So the Orioles have spent 1/16 on a catcher they didn't need, 4/31 on a set-up guy and 7/161 on a better slugging 1B than the slugging 1B they already paid 1/9 for.

Thank God the rotation and OF corners were already rock solid, otherwise I wouldn't get this offseason at all.

He should have put his money in a different bank account.

No one is complaining that he spent, it is who he spent on.

Angelos has never been cheap, not really, but the team under his ownership does have a history of not spending intelligently.

Pretty accurate.

Archived