Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are a lot of warning signs that Davis may not age too well. But that's a worry for the future. I don't like this deal in the long run. In the short run, I intend to enjoy the rest of Davis' prime years.

Fangraphs came out with an article on Davis a few months ago that compared to another player named Howard, Frank Howard that is. Howard was a massive slugger who struck out way above the league average just like Davis. And Howard actually aged realy well. His four best seasons all came in his age 30-33 seasons and he was still a productive offensive player in his last season at age 36 with a 115 wRC+ and .207 ISO. So it's not unprecedented for a high strikeout slugger to age well.

Of course it's an overpay and way too long, but I'm not going to get frustrated. It's the Orioles/Angelos way. Cry poor on a regular basis and make many moves suggesting that the team has a very, very tight budget, then sprinkle in a few bizarre financial decisions that strongly suggest that the crying poor stuff is really just lying or the owner has a total disregard for handcuffing his GM/stupid VP title's hands. Classic Angelos IMO. I don't mean that as a rant, just observation. We love a team that is inherently dysfunctional. It's better in most ways than it was ten or 15 years ago, but still inherently dysfunctional.

The up side is that Davis will be more productive and fun to watch for the next few years than any player that the O's were really likely to sign or get via trade (IMO). Weams has heard that they will sign other players and I hope that is true. May not be great for future budgets, but at least it will make for a fun team in the near future. But I will be shocked if they do. Who knows? Maybe Angelos wants to win before he's eating pastitsio with St. Peter.

Fangraphs came out with an article on Davis a few months ago that compared to another player named Howard, Frank Howard that is. Howard was a massive slugger who struck out way above the league average just like Davis. And Howard actually aged realy well. His four best seasons all came in his age 30-33 seasons and he was still a productive offensive player in his last season at age 36 with a 115 wRC+ and .207 ISO. So it's not unprecedented for a high strikeout slugger to age well.

Here's the reason I don't worry a lot about Davis breaking down. The man is a superior athlete and he has been durable. He's not just a muscle-bound slugger. He throws 90 mph. He's a deft defender. He's a bit of a freak, athletically speaking. And his track record for success goes WAY back. If you think he "blossomed" with the Orioles, go look at his minor league statistics. This guy's a thoroughbred... and I believe he will win a World Series here in Baltimore.

Of course it's an overpay and way too long, but I'm not going to get frustrated. It's the Orioles/Angelos way. Cry poor on a regular basis and make many moves suggesting that the team has a very, very tight budget, then sprinkle in a few bizarre financial decisions that strongly suggest that the crying poor stuff is really just lying or the owner has a total disregard for handcuffing his GM/stupid VP title's hands. Classic Angelos IMO. I don't mean that as a rant, just observation. We love a team that is inherently dysfunctional. It's better in most ways than it was ten or 15 years ago, but still inherently dysfunctional.

The up side is that Davis will be more productive and fun to watch for the next few years than any player that the O's were really likely to sign or get via trade (IMO). Weams has heard that they will sign other players and I hope that is true. May not be great for future budgets, but at least it will make for a fun team in the near future. But I will be shocked if they do. Who knows? Maybe Angelos wants to win before he's eating pastitsio with St. Peter.

Pete can do no right. But how about DD here? This reminds me a bit of his Manny Ramirez signing in Boston... As with CD, he seemed to home in on Manny as the cornerstone to that offense. People screamed bloody murder when Manny signed his deal... and practically mocked DD and Boston. We all know what happened after that.

Bo Jackson makes Crush look like John Candy and his 30s were worth one win.

Bo also had a Dennis Pitta hip.

In 1993 (three years after Jackson sustained his hip injury), Steve Sax once pinch-ran for Jackson in a nationally televised game when they played together for the White Sox.

After the PA announcer stated, "Now running for Bo Jackson ...... Steve Sax," the announcer said, "If I were Steve Sax, I would get that on tape, and keep it in a safe deposit box." :laughlol:

From age 35-on Frank Howard was worth 0.1 rWAR. His age 36 season you cite was as a part time DH who played 85 games. I wouldn't be too surprised if Davis was like Howard, good for a bit, but essentially worthless by the time the deal expires.

Pete can do no right. But how about DD here? This reminds me a bit of his Manny Ramirez signing in Boston... As with CD, he seemed to home in on Manny as the cornerstone to that offense. People screamed bloody murder when Manny signed his deal... and practically mocked DD and Boston. We all know what happened after that.

Are there ANY indications that DD wanted this deal much less was in the driver's seat during negotiations? Everything says this is Mr. Angelos' deal. Not defending DD, just pointing out the obvious based on everything that has been said and written about the Davis negotiations.

Archived