Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

Boras' effort to promote Davis as a versatile fielder who can play corner OF and 3B fell flat. Maybe he squeezed the extra dollars out of the Orioles by selling Chris as an additional bullpen option. :rolleyes:

Unless Dan signs an above average RF, Chris will play serval games there this year as well.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wieters texted Davis this morning upon hearing news of signing: "I just said, ‘Tell me if it’s true. Don’t play with my emotions.’" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">January 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wieters: "This culture we?ve been able to build in this clubhouse, it?s a very attractive quality...it?s probably the best recruiting tool"</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wieters: "I think you?re seeing it that in our clubhouse we?re so close and such a close group of guys that everybody want to come back."</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

Nice try Zach, but you probably wont be coming back next season.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Britton:"I think it shows that we?re not just allowing guys 2 become FAs & then, ?See you later? We?re willing 2 pay guys what they deserve"</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wieters: "This culture we?ve been able to build in this clubhouse, it?s a very attractive quality...it?s probably the best recruiting tool"</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wieters: "I think you?re seeing it that in our clubhouse we?re so close and such a close group of guys that everybody want to come back."</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Britton:"I think it shows that we?re not just allowing guys 2 become FAs & then, ?See you later? We?re willing 2 pay guys what they deserve"</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

Yes ...... regardless of whether or not you think that the new Chris Davis contract will wind up being a beneficial one for the Orioles in the long run, I don't think that anyone can argue that Angelos and company are not opening up their wallets as much as a mid-market team can be expected to.

If Davis puts up five offensive seasons like Howard did from age 30-34, who really cares if he becomes worthless in years six and seven of the deal. He would still be well worth his contract.

If Davis just puts up ONE more 5-6 win season, all he needs is 10 sprinkled over the next 6 to make it worth it. (would love to see historical numbers on two 5+ win seasons age 26-29, how many after)

If he manages to put up two of those seasons......(I mean he just did over 3 less years)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wieters: "I always made him know I wanted him back and the guys wanted him back" but said understood "you’re making a major life decision."</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

In this world every player is just looked at as a number, ignoring the human emotion factor for them and teammates. It matters, as these quotes show. It mattered last year with Cruz and Markakis.

When the team feels like ownership is working with them, and not against them, there is nothing but positive that can come out of it.....numbers be damned.

I'd rather have the recruiting tools the Cubs are using to get guys to come in on below market deals.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wieters texted Davis this morning upon hearing news of signing: "I just said, ‘Tell me if it’s true. Don’t play with my emotions.’" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

Yeah, because Boras and Matt will be looking for a huge deal from us next off season. Just, please, no.

I'd rather have the recruiting tools the Cubs are using to get guys to come in on below market deals.

Heywards deal will turn out to be one of the worst contracts in history...defensive metrics are overvalued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived