Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> hope to have their deal w/ Chris Davis finalized by the end of the week, according to industry sources. Deal was pending physical.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">January 18, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Somehow, I get a sense that if the doctor that is responsible for Davis' physical deems that he did not pass said physical, it will be tantamount to what might have happened if the referees at Three Rivers Stadium in the 1972 AFC Divisional playoff game had told those fans that they were ruling that Franco Harris' reception was illegally touched by 2 consecutive Steelers, and therefore, an incomplete pass.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Somehow, I get a sense that if the doctor that is responsible for Davis' physical deems that he did not pass said physical, it will be tantamount to what might have happened if the referees at Three Rivers Stadium in the 1972 AFC Divisional playoff game had told those fans that they were ruling that Franco Harris' reception was illegally touched by 2 consecutive Steelers, and therefore, an incomplete pass.

No money shot?

Good point. I would like to see a Venn diagram of those who last year were upset we didn't sign Cruz and it cost us our chance to win, and those who are now upset we spent too much on Davis. Too see how much overlap there is.

Because there were certainly a lot of posts espousing both those things. Just not sure who fell in both categories.

I don't fit in that category, but I would not see an inconsistency between being in favor of a 4/$58 mm deal for one guy and against a 7/$161 mm deal for a different guy. The second deal obviously poses much more financial risk, and I think opinions can vary depending on what you think about the value of specific players and how well they will age.

The money given to Davis is spread out over such a long period of time that, yeah he gets a Bonilla day for the next decade after the deal and that may be a punchline in 2032, but right now it lets the Orioles keep Davis AND still have some financial flexibility for the next seven years.

Perhaps this is a kind of structure that helps Machado stick around?

The money given to Davis is spread out over such a long period of time that, yeah he gets a Bonilla day for the next decade after the deal and that may be a punchline in 2032, but right now it let's the Orioles keep Davis AND still have some financial flexibility for the next seven years.

Perhaps this is a kind of structure that helps Machado stick around?

Bonilla situation was a bit different, though, in that there was interest on the deferred money, largely based on madoff-fueled expectations for ownership. That said, I don't expect the media to incorporate that nuance in articles 15 years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't fit in that category, but I would not see an inconsistency between being in favor of a 4/$58 mm deal for one guy and against a 7/$161 mm deal for a different guy. The second deal obviously poses much more financial risk, and I think opinions can vary depending on what you think about the value of specific players and how well they will age.

I was dead set against Cruz and sorta okay with Davis. All because of 4-5 years of age. With Davis you get all those years where almost all players hold some value but decline. Cruz' whole deal is for years where decline almost always accelerates then value craters.

Tigers owner Mike Ilitch was “absolutely ready” to sign Chris Davis, tweets Jon Heyman, but GM Al Avila talked him out of taking that route. From where I stand, that seems wise; unless Detroit was convinced that Davis could play the corner outfield on a regular basis for at least another year or two, it’s hard to see how he’d fit.

Looks like Boras almost had the Tigers guarantee another huge contract

Archived