Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

$161 million for a guy who hit .196 in 2014, struck out 208 last season and has had his pull rate increase for 4 straight seasons. What could go wrong???

Basically the Orioles have resigned and given pay raises to 3 players from a .500 win team. They also brought in another strike out guy in Trumbo. Wonderful This team STILL needs corner outfielders, a leadoff hitter, and pitching. The fact that Reimold is still projected to be on the roster illustrates the problem. Pitchers can get the 2-6 hitters out without throwing strikes. Let's not forget that Chen's replacement was traded to the Red Sox for a rental player.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$161 million for a guy who hit .196 in 2014, struck out 208 last season and has had his pull rate increase for 4 straight seasons. What could go wrong???

Are you worried his pull rate will become so strong that he can only hit foul balls out of the park?

At some point it'll wrap all the way back around and he'll hit balls only to left. Yes, for a few years we'll have to put up with him only hitting balls backwards.

They are expanding the screens for player safety purposes

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Things definitely could go wrong. But you seem to disregard the things that could go right. I really don't care if Davis strikes out 208 times so long as he hits 47 bombs and puts up a .361 OBP. The good news with Davis (aside from the homers) is that he gets on base a lot via the walk, and has pretty decent strike zone judgment. I'd rather have a guy who strikes out 200 times and walks 80 than a guy who strikes out 80 times but walks 20.

Are you worried his pull rate will become so strong that he can only hit foul balls out of the park?

It suggests that he is compensating.

Things definitely could go wrong. But you seem to disregard the things that could go right. I really don't care if Davis strikes out 208 times so long as he hits 47 bombs and puts up a .361 OBP. The good news with Davis (aside from the homers) is that he gets on base a lot via the walk, and has pretty decent strike zone judgment. I'd rather have a guy who strikes out 200 times and walks 80 than a guy who strikes out 80 times but walks 20.

True, but the problem is that he is on a team that collectively has poor plate discipline. If Davis was on a team like the Royals or Cardinals then it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Pitchers don't have to throw strikes to the Orioles' 2-6 hitters to get them out and Machado has no business hitting leadoff.

I don't understand how the team can be so cheap for so long and then decide to break the bank on Davis. They gave significant raises to 3 of their own players but the team hasn't gotten any better and they still have the same exact holes as last year. They have 3 years before Machado leaves to play for NY, Boston or LA so as a fan it would be nice if they stopped screwing around.

It suggests that he is compensating.

True, but the problem is that he is on a team that collectively has poor plate discipline. If Davis was on a team like the Royals or Cardinals then it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Pitchers don't have to throw strikes to the Orioles' 2-6 hitters to get them out and Machado has no business hitting leadoff.

I don't understand how the team can be so cheap for so long and then decide to break the bank on Davis. They gave significant raises to 3 of their own players but the team hasn't gotten any better and they still have the same exact holes as last year. They have 3 years before Machado leaves to play for NY, Boston or LA so as a fan it would be nice if they stopped screwing around.

On the last point...

We would never resign jones.

There was no way wieters and Davis would be Orioles in 2015.

List goes on.

Maybe we should stop speaking with such certainty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived