Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Boras: "I think every athlete needs expert legal counsel because the teams all have it." <a href="https://t.co/3edjFqEf3o">https://t.co/3edjFqEf3o</a> <a href="https://t.co/Leh5MFIzym">pic.twitter.com/Leh5MFIzym</a></p>— Baseball America (@BaseballAmerica) <a href="

">January 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Boras: "I think every athlete needs expert legal counsel because the teams all have it." <a href="https://t.co/3edjFqEf3o">https://t.co/3edjFqEf3o</a> <a href="https://t.co/Leh5MFIzym">pic.twitter.com/Leh5MFIzym</a></p>— Baseball America (@BaseballAmerica) <a href="
">January 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Right, hire one to handle the contract instead of an agent.

161,000,000 X .047= 7,567,000

Right, hire one to handle the contract instead of an agent.

161,000,000 X .047= 7,567,000

Boras is a lawyer. Which has ramifications, because lawyers are subject to the state bar's ethical code, while agents are only subject to a code published by the MLBPA that does not contain various requirements set by the state bars.

Nope.

If it is does he get it all up front?

I was going by the when Chris gets paid Scott gets paid method.

I always thought agents got their cut when the cash came in the door. That may be different between playing contract, endorsements, etc. (I know, for example, many agents get a significantly higher % on endorsements since they have much more power to sell and bring in money as opposed to the playing contract, which is more based on the player's own talent).

Chris Davis is not even in the top 10 2016 players for the AL East.

Which ten position players would you put ahead of him?

Manny, I would assume, is one.

AJ?

Donaldson?

Tulo?

Pedroia?

Bogearts?

I don't know if there is anyone else for whom a good case could be made (I'm surely missing someone).

You could make a case he is.

You could make a case he isn't.

Would depend on the definitions used.

By WAR he was top 5 last year.

Reckon he was a lot lower than that in 2014.

In 2013 he was #3 in the AL East (#4 if you count Donaldson as a 2013 AL East player since he is in TOR now, but Cano is in SEA now, so that's sort of a wash). AL position player WAR was very AL East heavy at the top in 2013, by the way, at least according to BBRef:

1. Trout (LAA) - 9.3

2. Cano (NYY) - 7.8

3. Donaldson (OAK) - 7.7

4. Cabrera (DET) - 7.3

5. Machado (BAL) - 6.7

6. Davis (BAL) - 6.5

7. Pedroia (BOS) - 6.3

8. Longoria (TBR) - 6.2

9. Victorino (BOS) - 6.1

10. Ellsbury (BOS) - 5.7

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2013-batting-leaders.shtml

AJ?

Donaldson?

Tulo?

Pedroia?

Bogearts?

I don't know if there is anyone else for whom a good case could be made (I'm surely missing someone).

Tulowitzki is not top 50. Pedroia is not top 25. Davis is better than Jones. Though I like Jones much more. Donaldson crushed everyone last season. Manny is a better all around player than Davis. Bogaerts might be, but not even close yet.

Tulowitzki is not top 50. Pedroia is not top 25. Davis is better than Jones. Though I like Jones much more. Donaldson crushed everyone last season. Manny is a better all around player than Davis. Bogaerts might be, but not even close yet.

I'm not arguing on behalf of those guys necessarily, trying to cast a wide net of who could be considered better, especially to the point where Crush isn't even top-10 among positional players in the AL East. There are a lot of highly-paid guys who I do not believe a credible case could be made for (Tex, A-Rod, Ellsbury, Panda, Hanley, etc.).

AJ?

Donaldson?

Tulo?

Pedroia?

Bogearts?

If you look at what you quoted you will see that I didn't say position players.

Another poster decided to add that modifier.

If you look at what you quoted you will see that I didn't say position players.

Another poster decided to add that modifier.

Ok, well I apologize for my confusion on that front. Sometimes quote chains can be a bit of a game of telephones despite best intentions. Not my intention to misrepresent your stance.

With that said, adding pitchers to the mix obviously makes things a bit more complicated. I would definitely put Price ahead of him (and his contract reflects that along with the Cy Young hardware). I don't see a pitcher on the Toronto roster that I would put ahead of him nor on Baltimore's. Chris Archer is interesting, but he is a young guy on his way up, but he's not there yet (WAR was at highest point in career last season with 4.3 bWAR/5.3 fWAR). I would be pretty comfortable keeping Chris above him (5.2 bWAR/5.6 fWAR in 2015 for what it's worth). Tanaka is an interesting one as well, but I don't think that's a credible case to be made at this point. nobody else close on Yankees off the top of my head.

So, it's a bit trickier, but even including pitchers, which ten players are you putting ahead of Davis right now?

Ok, well I apologize for my confusion on that front. Sometimes quote chains can be a bit of a game of telephones despite best intentions. Not my intention to misrepresent your stance.

With that said, adding pitchers to the mix obviously makes things a bit more complicated. I would definitely put Price ahead of him (and his contract reflects that along with the Cy Young hardware). I don't see a pitcher on the Toronto roster that I would put ahead of him nor on Baltimore's. Chris Archer is interesting, but he is a young guy on his way up, but he's not there yet (WAR was at highest point in career last season with 4.3 bWAR/5.3 fWAR). I would be pretty comfortable keeping Chris above him (5.2 bWAR/5.6 fWAR in 2015 for what it's worth). Tanaka is an interesting one as well, but I don't think that's a credible case to be made at this point. nobody else close on Yankees off the top of my head.

So, it's a bit trickier, but even including pitchers, which ten players are you putting ahead of Davis right now?

See a lot of it is subjective. Looking at 2016 and beyond I would put Archer ahead of him. I could see three current Rays being ahead of him.

I am not that enamored with Davis. I don't think he will age well. Even with not factoring in salaries there are a lot of younger players that I think will start outperforming him in short order.

Now if the original comment was "Davis has been one of the top 10 players in the AL East over the last three seasons." Well that would be a lot easier to settle.

Archived