Austin Jackson anyone?

cnmilton

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would it cost the O's to sign Austin Jackson? He can play any outfield spot, can lead off, and plays decent defense. Do you think he is in the O's price range?

I've always liked Jackson and brought him up on here but after looking his OBP is REALLY low. Never walks.

Pros:

- No compensation pick

- Seems to be a good CFer, could assume he'd have a plus glove in a corner

Cons:

- Probably wants to stay in CF

- Hasn't been an average hitter since 2013

- Poor OBP, don't want him anywhere near top of order

- Value on offense tied strongly to BA

Unknowns:

- Contract demands

It's not great, about .310 the last couple years. But I guess we should keep in mind that the MLB OBP last year was .317.

Yeah, true. I was looking through other remaining "value type" free agents and even the better ones and OBP's were low for all. Matt Joyce and even guys like Kendrick (who I like and it's a shame there is a pick attached) and Desmond have low OBP's. It's no surprise why the Royals were so good last year with those high OBP's across the board.

I think we need another starting pitcher more than we need another outfielder (although it would be nice if we could add both). But if we're going to sign an outfielder, I'd prefer Dexter Fowler.

We need both but yes SP more important. Fowler costs a pick so unless long term and very below market it's not gonna happen. Fowler would be perfect leadoff hitter for us for sure.

I think we need another starting pitcher more than we need another outfielder (although it would be nice if we could add both). But if we're going to sign an outfielder, I'd prefer Dexter Fowler.

You don't mind sacrificing the 14 pick on a middling guy?

I started a thread about him a few weeks back. He is better than anything we have in RF right now' date=' no pick attached, and while his OBP is not amazing, it's good compared to our team last year.[/quote']
It's not great, about .310 the last couple years. But I guess we should keep in mind that the MLB OBP last year was .317.

Our team OBP was .307 last year. About the same as Seattle, the Mets and the Angels.

There was also a thread on 2nd tier free agents. I think Austin Jackson was one of my picks in that thread. It would be interesting to see who is still available from peoples picks in that thread.

Edit: Found it! Didn't want to bump the thread though. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/150407-2nd-tier-FA-you-would-like-to-see-play-for-the-O-s?highlight=tier

I like Fowler too, but only if the Orioles decide to lose the 1st round pick on Gallardo. I don't think we should give up a 1st round pick on Fowler.

Archived