Crush to RF Possibly?

Shabadoo25

I wouldnt be surprise if Davis leads the team in HR and RBIs and has a WAR of over 5+ and you would still find something to be unhappy about.

To follow up with my other response, your post is a good example of why I hate stats. How Many home runs did Davis hit last year in August and September when the team was already out of it? He blew up over the final two months of last season when it didn't really matter which is why it's obnoxious when peopleblindly look at stats to try to illustrate their point. Chris Davis and his 208 strikeouts would be much better off on a team like the Royals or the Cardinals or any other team with that doesn't have a boom or bust offense. Instead he's surrounded by Jones, Schoop and Trumbo. It's not a oarticularly good fit

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you actually root for the Orioles?

Do you remember 2012 and 2014?

2013 they were in it, until the final series of the season.

2015, they were in it, until Early August.

I sure do. How did Chris Davis do in 2014?

Anyone who actually watches the games objectively would have been able to recognize that the team simply didn't have it in 2013 or 2015.

The 2016 team has the same exact holes as the 2015 team minus their best starter.

To follow up with my other response, your post is a good example of why I hate stats. How Many home runs did Davis hit last year in August and September when the team was already out of it? He blew up over the final two months of last season when it didn't really matter which is why it's obnoxious when peopleblindly look at stats to try to illustrate their point. Chris Davis and his 208 strikeouts would be much better off on a team like the Royals or the Cardinals or any other team with that doesn't have a boom or bust offense. Instead he's surrounded by Jones, Schoop and Trumbo. It's not a oarticularly good fit

Seriously, this is your argument? Thats the best you can do?

How about the 7 HRs in July, which only had 24 games, because of the ASG?

I sure do. How did Chris Davis do in 2014?

Anyone who actually watches the games objectively would have been able to recognize that the team simply didn't have it in 2013 or 2015.

The 2016 team has the same exact holes as the 2015 team minus their best starter.

Are you objective, or do you have a negative opinion?

If it came to pass that CD had to run out in RF more than the Orioles would like this year for whatever reason, I don't think its the end of the world.

My other concern is that it seems to me that a guy like Davis, though athletic, is more likely to break down running around RF then at 1B especially over the long haul. Last but not least your taking a guy who is a defensive plus at 1B IMO and making him a potential meh defensive player. In a pinch that's ok but as a long term plan I doubt the O's would entertain that.

...Would it surprise anyone if at some point Davis' strikeouts were higher than his batting average?

Not at all. As soon as he records his first SO, that number will be higher by definition. 1.000 strikeout is a larger number than even Ted Williams' phenomenal season of .406. In fact it's more than twice as great. And that's with only his first SO.

Seriously, this is your argument? Thats the best you can do?

How about the 7 HRs in July, which only had 24 games, because of the ASG?

Do you think that it is a good contract? Does signing Chris Davis to a $161 million contract make the team any better than last year?

Are you objective, or do you have a negative opinion?

Is this a serious question? You of all people are questioning whether someone else is objective? LOL...why don't you be objective and recognize that the Orioles over-paid to resign Davis and compounded said overpayment by bidding against themselves. They have been cheap for 15+ years and they finally decide to break the bank on a one dimensional hitter who hit .196 in 2014 and strikes out a ton. They spent $161 million on a player who was hitting around .235 through July last year and significantly increased his value by hitting 22 home runs in meaningless games in August and September. In addition they still don't have any corner outfielders, they still don't have anyone to bat leadoff and they still don't have good starting pitching.

I got news for ya. You have to watch Davis hit for the next 7 years. If there was a time to jump off the O's bandwagon for you, this would be that time.

They have made the playoffs twice since 1997 and have been owned by Peter Angelos since 1994...if I was going to "jump off the bandwagon" I would have done so by now. Besides, the company I work for has a skybox behind home plate to every game. I get to go to games for free.

Dont you have to be on the bandwagon, before you can get off?

For the 3rd consecutive offseason the Orioles had significant holes on the team that they did not adequately fill. As a fan that's disappointing and just because I complain and am realistic about the issues with the team that doesn't make me any less of a fan than you.

In 2012 the Orioles had a solid core of young players that were mostly cheap. The Orioles should have taken advantage of this by adding pieces and filling holes through trades, by spending money or spending more efficiently. Instead, they didn't spend their money efficiently (Ubaldo, Travis Snider and all of the DFA players last year), they didn't spend money to bring players in (Cruz signed a one year deal so there was no risk involved and the only reason they were able to sign him is b/c n one else would) and they made really bad trades. They traded the current Cy Young winner for Scott Feldman and they traded their only left handed pitching prospect to a division rival for a rental. and BTW, Jake Arrieta's success in Chicago illustrates how poor the organization is at developing pitchers. Kevin Gausman should play dead or demand a trade.

I can understand why they were reluctant to spend big money on a starting pitcher. They had Bundy and Gausman in the minors and recently drafted Hunter Harvey. Even though their ability to develop pitchers has been an epic failure, there was reason for optimism with Bundy, Harvey and Gausman. They got really unlucky with Bundy and Harvey but they have no one to blame but themselves for Gausman.

Not at all. As soon as he records his first SO, that number will be higher by definition. 1.000 strikeout is a larger number than even Ted Williams' phenomenal season of .406. In fact it's more than twice as great. And that's with only his first SO.

That was cute. His 208 strikeouts last season was higher than his batting average in 2014.

They have made the playoffs twice since 1997 and have been owned by Peter Angelos since 1994...if I was going to "jump off the bandwagon" I would have done so by now. Besides, the company I work for has a skybox behind home plate to every game. I get to go to games for free.

The Skybox behind home plate is the MASN box. So... ;) Tom Davis? Oh, and they haven't been called skyboxes since.. before Cal retired. They are Suites.

For the 3rd consecutive offseason the Orioles had significant holes on the team that they did not adequately fill. As a fan that's disappointing and just because I complain and am realistic about the issues with the team that doesn't make me any less of a fan than you.

That is very true. There are plenty of things a man can find to complain about. Even his dog.

Once again we get the point of view that only the really angry and disappointed are realistic. If you're generally happy with your lot in life, or your baseball team, you're naive and delusional.

Archived